Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
chuck
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sending out a question for deep droppers and others to see if there is any interest in a 2lb bullethead jig w/ 12/0 mustad dt hook and brass eyelet.
I was going to try a couple on ebay figured I'd ask the experts.

cost 8 to 10 dollars each. Thanks for your time!
Happy 4th to all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,628 Posts
I’ve jigged deepwater Grouper with a 10oz butterfly jig a couple times and caught fish but I never really had the feeling of, “Hell yeah I want to do that again”, when I got it to the boat.

But then again, I had a small electric I used to bliner fish with.

Deep water is a lot of work when you go manual. Kinda takes the fun out of it unless your swordfishing.

Just what I remember. Haven’t been out in awhile.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't really see a fish wanting to wrap its lips around a 2 lb chunk of lead.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,159 Posts
I would think that most of deep dropping action will be mostly a smell thing at that depth. Something moving around in the dark probably won't trigger much response.

·
eating tasty
3,754 Posts
I jigged up a snowy on one of the giant Williamson knife jigs once. Key word once. I used a manual real. Bunch of work, especially if you don’t get a hit.

If you just want the sport, I’m sure they would work with a huge glow curly tail if you can find one big enough for the hook.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
how can you put 2lbs of lead on a 12/0 hook?
i can see 2 oz. but 2lbs?

jack

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sure does not look like 2 lbs,but then again I don't look like I weigh so much as to be overweight to me, but I am...

·
Registered
763 Posts
I see it as a good idea, dont use it as a jig tho.
Take that same concept but with a circle hook... Use that sucker as your bottom weight on your regular deep drop 4 or 5 hook rig. Tip it off with a whole squid and you just gave yourself an extra bait down there to catch ya a snowy or 2! I hand crank for deep drops and always use 2 lbs weight, unless current is just insane..having that extra bait would be even better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts