Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to the Keys for the 1st time, staying in key west.
Going next week any advice is greatly appreciated.
And go.....

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Eat some Cuban food, have a piece of REAL key lime pie, ride the conch tour train cause it's better than driving around on your own...streets are very narrow in a lot of places. If you got time and money go fishing and snorkeling in the upper keys, stop by Robbies and feed a tarpon! Mallory square downtown for sunset is cool. Oh...have fun and a drink at sloppy joes!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Eat some Cuban food, have a piece of REAL key lime pie, ride the conch tour train cause it's better than driving around on your own...streets are very narrow in a lot of places. If you got time and money go fishing and snorkeling in the upper keys, stop by Robbies and feed a tarpon! Mallory square downtown for sunset is cool. Oh...have fun and a drink at sloppy joes!

Everything Mac said plus don't forget Capt Tonys. :thumbsup: It's just around the corner from Sloppy Joes. Check out Blue Heaven...good food. If you have time take the fast cat out to Dry Tortuga. Probably the most underrated thing to do in Key West is the Conch Train. The operators are full of local information and history of the Keys. Have Fun!! :yes:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Everything Mac said plus don't forget Capt Tonys. It's just around the corner from Sloppy Joes. Check out Blue Heaven...good food. If you have time take the fast cat out to Dry Tortuga. Probably the most underrated thing to do in Key West is the Conch Train. The operators are full of local information and history of the Keys. Have Fun!! :yes:
Oh yes that's true. Sometimes I forget about Tony Tarracino....he lived across the street from us on Eagle Ave. When I was in high school we had a few run ins together. He used to pick up Cuban refugees in his head boat. What a guy! Marty was a charm too!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
-Fishing
-Pizza at No Name Pub on Big Pine Key
-Breakfast/Brunch at Blue Heaven in KW
-Sea Turtle Hospital in Marathon
-Fishing
-Feed the Tarpon at Robbie's and the art village there
-Go look for Key Deer on Big Pine Key. Not supposed to touch them but they come right to you
-Fishing
-Mallory Square sunset and street performers
-Eat dinner at 'The Square Grouper"
-Go snorkel/hangout at Bahia Honda state park
-Fishing
-Mel Fisher Maritime Museum in KW. Pretty cool place
-Hemingway house is supposed to be cool, but admittedly have never been
-I always stop at the "Rain Barrel Village" or whatever on Tavernier and have a Cafe Cubano. Just a tradition for me now lol

Are you going to rent/bring a boat? Charter? Bringing kids?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
-Fishing

-Pizza at No Name Pub on Big Pine Key

-Breakfast/Brunch at Blue Heaven in KW

-Sea Turtle Hospital in Marathon

-Fishing

-Feed the Tarpon at Robbie's and the art village there

-Go look for Key Deer on Big Pine Key. Not supposed to touch them but they come right to you

-Fishing

-Mallory Square sunset and street performers

-Eat dinner at 'The Square Grouper"

-Go snorkel/hangout at Bahia Honda state park

-Fishing

-Mel Fisher Maritime Museum in KW. Pretty cool place

-Hemingway house is supposed to be cool, but admittedly have never been

-I always stop at the "Rain Barrel Village" or whatever on Tavernier and have a Cafe Cubano. Just a tradition for me now lol

Are you going to rent/bring a boat? Charter? Bringing kids?
Dang Chris....you should be a tour guide for down there too!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
there is an airport on Marathon Key.
Go there and pay for an airplane tour of the Keys.
You will see so much.
Well worth the money.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the tips and info.
We will be taking a charter while we are there, we are also bringing some fishing rods as well. We do plan to visit the other key areas as well.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips and info.
We will be taking a charter while we are there, we are also bringing some fishing rods as well. We do plan to visit the other key areas as well.
Thanks again,
Let us know how it was, send pics! Y'all have a good time.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I went to Key West in early May and it was ok, glad I went but won’t go back.
We did enjoy Mel Fisher’s museum, Ernest Hemingway’s house and Truman’s White House.
Blue Heaven was great food. We ate there a couple of times. We had some good food at several places.
Robbie’s was slammed. We didn’t stop.
We went slow thru Big Pine Key but didn’t see any key deer.
Sloppy Joe’s is a tourist attraction. It was packed. The couple with us got the nachos and they were great. My hamburger sucked.
There were 75 people in line to take a picture in front of the southern-most point buoy. We didn’t stop.
Do get tickets for the trolley. You don’t want to drive in the historic district.
Do take a bus/trolley tour. You will learn a lot and some of the tour guides are real characters.
We signed up for a snorkeling trip and a glass bottom boat ride but they were cancelled due to rough water.
We stayed in Florida City on the way down and took an airboat ride on the Everglades. That was fun.
Everybody needs to go once but if I were to go back, I would probably take a boat and stay in Islamorada or Marathon.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
The Lobster Reuben at Key Fisheries in Marathon is awesome..Bought live bait once in the Vaca Cut area,from a guy in a big Sea Vee. Turned out to be Jose Wejebe. He was pretty cool dude. Gave us some offshore tips as well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just got back. I stayed at Villa Cubana at 606 Truman Avenue...Walked everywhere. Went to Dry Tortugas on the ferry but you need to book in advance. Go to Hemmingways house, Truman White House, Mallory Square for sunsets, The fort next to the navy base ...we did all the typical tourist stuff. left Thursday evening at 5:15 and drove all night. Got back home at 6:30 Friday morning to avoid the construction backups on i75 north.

Don't forget Bud and Mary's for a tshirt in islamorada

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I'll second on the Ft Jefferson/Dry Tortugas trip and the Mel Fisher museum. For wading, there is some excellent tarpon and bonefish to be found.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts