Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a couple of good spots where the Redfish are stacked up and finning, but they are in thick weeds. At high tide I can cast a floating lure, but still get tangled up a lot. Jerk bait is out of the question. Tried gulp shrimp rigged weedless, but it gets caught up in the weeds too. Water is only 2 or three feet deep. Any suggestions?

Greg

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Well the fish are actually doing what is commonly referred to as tailing. What this means is that the fishes head is down so you will want a bait that will sink just past fish and drag it to him. I prefer a weedless jig head or a mustad ultra lock hook. What bait you put on is a personal preference but gulp is always a good go to. You might need to go to a smaller bait. Some times this time of year you must downsize because they are feeding on smaller prey such as snails and fiddler crabs. Just things to think about. If its too much grass to get a lure through then I don't know what to tell ya except it might be mullet in there eating. Then again just my opinion.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the technique you describe yesterday, but with 1/16 oz jig rigged weedless. I'll pick up some of the ultra lock hooks and see if that helps. Weeds are so thick though that I am afraid that anything I throw in there is going to get hung up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to say thanks for the reply and insight flatspro. The fish were definately reds. I managed to catch three last week over a two day stretch, just trying to figure out how to beat the weeds.

Greg

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Try a gulp peeler crab or 2" gulp shrimp on the ultra lock hook oh get the 2/0 hook it should slide through the weeds easily! I have fish like that in Escambia it's fun just figuring out different ways to catch them!! Good luck!

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I've had success fighting weeds with a weighted worm hook. They sell them at academy. On the shank of the hook there is a section of lead. This way you can put your soft plastic on with the hook eye and knot covered by the head of the bait. Then you just bury the hook in the normal weedless fashion. Without the lead head, hook eye and knot exposed you pretty much eliminate anything for the weeds to hang up on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the crud over the weekend and have stayed off the water since last Friday. Can't wait to try the weedless spook to see how it works. Let you guys know after I get to go again, hopefully in a couple or three days.

Greg

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got to try out the weedless spook yesterday afternoon. It was a great improvement in thick weeds. The action was a little subdued compared with having the treble hooks on it but I am going to keep one in my box to fight the weeds another day. Only wish that the fish were biting yesterday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts