Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TheLowesTideIHaverSeen------------1/30/13

The North Wind started blowing last night after midnight and was still blowing strong at noon when we took out. The water in the Delta was lower than I have ever seen it. It was a lot lower than yesterday and the fish did not bite as good. But--CaptF managed to put Four in the boat--not bad. You might notice no Pic. of me--I didn't catch a fish--o well another day. Note the Pike. that was caught--a first for CaptF.--------------BT66

Free Pictures at.
http://basstracker66.phanfare.com

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
BT, water gets so low here we walk across the bay to the creek mouths, lol.
For their size, those jackfish put up a good fight.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,978 Posts
The eyes of that bass in the top of your picture has captured my attention. Actually something about the head shape also. Just looks different to me.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
That'd be a chain pickerel, not a pike.
the pickerel is a species in the pike family. why can't we call it a pike in casual conversation? this is not a biology class.:)

jack

·
Super Moderator
29,873 Posts
the pickerel is a species in the pike family. why can't we call it a pike in casual conversation? this is not a biology class.:)

jack
I prefer northern pike.....;):yes::rolleyes::thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have seen many of them cruising the shallow backwaters off of the Escambia River, but I have never noticed many in the M-T Delta. Never have caught one - but maybe one of these days. From the picture that looks to be a pretty big one!

·
Registered
121 Posts
All of the bickering about "common names" is a bit ridiculous. I think everyone knew what this thread was about and I don't think anyone thought that a northern pike was caught in Bay Minette Creek. Common names are what locals call a particular kind of fish and it differs depending on where you are located.

Here are some examples of why "common names" suck:

1. "Jack" - can mean pickerel, shad, crevalle, banded rudder fish and probably a few more.

2. "speck" - speckled trout, crappie.

3. Cobia = ling = black kingfish = lemonfish = crabeater

The list continues and for the record, the scientific community describes the family Esocidae as "pikes". That means all fish in that family are a type of pike. The only way to be specific on the species of fish is to use scientific names and I think we can all agree that is overkill for the average fisherman. To eliminate any confusion, here's a link to all fish of the genus Esox within the family Esocidae:

http://www.fishbase.org/identification/SpeciesList.php?genus=Esox

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Channel Bass = Redfish.
Green Trout = Largemouth Bass.

And Alewife or "LY" is another misconception. Alewife don't migrate any further south than the Carolina(s) Atlantic coast.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That wind was howling out of the NW this morning and I figured it had the makings of another super low tide. But since I'm stuck in the office I need to live vicariously. We need another report from BT! This one got me pumped up to catch a big pike myself!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I helped put in a truck scale in Bay Minette around 30-35 yrs ago. At the Co. that makes utility poles out of pine trees. It rained for a solid week almost. It was rough in a 6 ft. pit walking in muddy clay a foot deep. No well point system.

Fun times for sure. Sorry for the derail, been a long time since I heard that name.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gosh--Don't know where to start. Bay Minette Creek is a beautiful Tidal Stream--clear-deep and plenty of cover for Stripers, Bass, Bream, Pike.--It also has some fine White Perch---Now I want to think everyone that answered my post--most were friendly--informative--fun to read. As for the others well I guess we are stuck with you, good or bad. -----Now i would like to invite "Time Bandit" to fish Bay Minette Creek with me--My Boat--Expenses on me--Your date and time. We will launch at Scotts and fish 4/6 Hrs. I think you will have a good time. I will take a lot of pictures and post them on here so our Forum Friends can see how good we are at Fishing. Gonna be Fun--------------------BT66

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Gosh--Don't know where to start. Bay Minette Creek is a beautiful Tidal Stream--clear-deep and plenty of cover for Stripers, Bass, Bream, Pike.--It also has some fine White Perch---Now I want to think everyone that answered my post--most were friendly--informative--fun to read. As for the others well I guess we are stuck with you, good or bad. -----Now i would like to invite "Time Bandit" to fish Bay Minette Creek with me--My Boat--Expenses on me--Your date and time. We will launch at Scotts and fish 4/6 Hrs. I think you will have a good time. I will take a lot of pictures and post them on here so our Forum Friends can see how good we are at Fishing. Gonna be Fun--------------------BT66
My grandaddy always used the term "White Perch" and I still use it today. I also think they're the best eating freshwater fish we have available. Keep the reports coming BT. I always enjoy them. :yes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts