Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dave Ramsey says sometimes you just have to pay the "stupid tax" for being stupid...

I'm going to trailer the SS White Trash to the coast soon, so I figure I might as well change the oil in my outboard's lower unit since I can't remember the last time it was done. Cruised through Academy and picked up a big tube of foot lubricant. I think this is what I used last time.

Get set up at the boat and first thing I noticed was my lower unit is sooo far down there. Supposed to do this with the prop shaft level, right? I'm thinking, "Hmm, I'm pretty sure I can get down there, but how the Hell am I going to get up?"

Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!

OK, this fill mark screw ain't coming out. I GET UP and come back with a crescent wrench and torque til I start boogering the screw head. Grr. I GET UP and go grind the screwdriver so it fits the screw. Go back and torque again.

It ain't moving. GET UP and find a nailset and a ball peen. Tap inside the screw head slot. Bingo. Now for the drain plug. Got it. Ain't nothing to this shit. Uh oh. Need a drain pan. GET UP and find pan. Back down to sitting like an Indian and drain the oil. Oil coming out looks good. Shoulda left it alone... nah!

Time to do the fill thing. Where's my pocket knife to cut the tube? GET UP and find my knife. Squat again. GRRrr.

OK, nothing to this... like giving the outboard an enema. I roll the tube from the bottom and all's well until I get to the end of the tube and nothing's coming out the fill hole. Shit! Put the top screw in first before I remove the tube. Fat, oil-coated, arthritic fingers drop the screw. Where'd it go? I must have moved my hand holding the tube in the fill hole 'cause oil is running everywhere. SON OF A...! Looking for top screw when lightning struck my hip joint! CRAMP! SHIT! Straightened my leg to relieve the cramp and kicked the top screw out of reach. At least I found it! Try to put bottom screw in so I can stand up. Fat, oil-coated, arthritic fingers dropped the screw - twice.
Ah, got the screw in. GET UP again and lightning hit both hips. Screaming helped.

Back to Academy. I bought TWO more tubes, heh heh, I bet I fill this sumbitch this time.

Get set up again. Got my knife. Got rags. Wiped oil off my fat fingers. Removed plugs and started squeezing tubes. Oil is going everywhere except into my lower unit. GRRRR! Nothing is coming out the fill hole! Grab the second tube. Oil is everywhere outside the motor. None coming out the fill hole. F**K this! I put the plugs in after dropping each one twice. GET UP. Stomp into the house. Wife says, "What were you yelling at out there? And why is your face so purple?"

Came to this morning, watched Youtube on how to replace lower unit oil, went to Academy and bought a PUMP and a quart of oil, and knocked it out in ten minutes. Stooooopid.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,994 Posts
Sooooo, it looks like the Exxon Valdez parked in your driveway?

And 2 :thumbsup::thumbsup: for whoever invented the pump for the lower unit.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
When I got to the 3rd line......I said to myself....Oh Lord....Thats gonna be a mess.

I have a SK brand Big Ass Screwdriver. I bought it Special back in '81 or '82. It fits the lower unit screw plugs. It was bought specifically for THAT!

It has a square shank....A 3/8in open end wrench fits perfect.

You put the screwdriver in the slot.....Smack the end of the screwdriver with a hammer to shock the threads and with the 3/8in wrench it turns right out.

I did run into a Lil Johnson about a month ago that my fittings from my pump would not fit. 99% of what I fill is a Suzuki or Yamaha.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was smart enough to lower the trailer tongue, which raised the outboard about 6", which helped some, but still couldn't see the drain screw. Had to use the Helen Keller technique. More fun.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Could have been worse, at least you got the job done.

https://youtu.be/AbSehcT19u0
:laughing:
Every project I start works out just like that...set out to sharpen the blades on the lawnmower and 3 hours later it looks like the entire contents of my shop have exploded out into the yard.:001_huh:

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Many young folks haven't paid the stupid tax. YET.

The older I get, the more often I pay it. Seems like a fellow would learn, doesn't it? Of course, this Alzheimer's isn't helping things much.

I've found that keeping my sense of humor helps. I much prefer to laugh at myself than to kick myself. Laughing is good exercise uplifting where kicking myself causes bruises and is counter productive.

Thank you for the humor this morning. Most folks need a little lift.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bourbon helps these situations. Before, during and after.
That's why I said when I "came to" instead of when I woke up and watched Youtube.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I got to the 3rd line......I said to myself....Oh Lord....Thats gonna be a mess.

I was ALMOST to the point of filling the damn thing with Fix-a-flat. The really bad part is, if I ever do this again, I'll have forgotten the pump trick and buy the tube again.

This getting old is getting old.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,994 Posts
Instructions for the procedure tattooed on your forearm is a start. Cursive would be cool but if your caretaker can't read it........

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
The "Jaded old Phart" has it sort of right.

But I don't have enough arm for all of the instructions I'd need even for my simple life. Also, I'd probably not have my reading glasses handy.

I still haven't learned how to dump my missed call list. My in box has been full for 6 months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts