Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just heard that BP has caped one of the leaks and the dome will be deployed today "Wed." It looks like all the doom and gloom wont happen as everyone had predicted. Chicken little lives on..

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have heard a lot of things since this started, which later are rescinded. Besides, there is millions of gallons of oil floating towards us.

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 12px; ">I will reserve my glee for now, but remain cautiously optimistic

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I say we throw a PFF party !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:toast

Scott

·
Registered
14,254 Posts
British Petroleum officials confirm to New Orleans' Fox 8 that the oil giant was able to cap one of the three Gulf of Mexico oil leaks on the Deepwater Horizon overnight.

Spokesman Curtis Thomas said on Wednesday that the cap does not necessarily lessen the amount of oil coming out but will help when trying to cap the other two leaks.

A new valve was put on the leak Tuesday night to stop the flow. However, Thomas said 5,000 barrels of oil were still leaking into the Gulf Of Mexico.

A containment <span style="POSITION: static; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; COLOR: blue !important; font-size: 12px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400" class=kLink>system was expected to be brought out on the water Wednesday. The system consists of domes that will be placed over the leaks to trap the oil which then will be pumped up to a collection barge on the surface.

Chemical dispersal agents are still being released into the oil to help break it up before it reaches the surface.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've gotta agree with taking things with a grain of salt, but the simple fact remains that there is ALLOT of oil out there that WILL cause many people more grief than they want and/or deserve. Not to mention, that there has been allot of misinformation from BP. I'm not ready to congratulate BP just yet

·
Registered
739 Posts
All I can say is this. If we get by on this mess with little damage, I for one will never again take for granted what I may have come to have taken for granted. I have lived on the GOM all my life and I have had a lot of retrospective thoughtthe last couple of weeks. Pray for the best.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
deeptracks (05/05/2010)All I can say is this. If we get by on this mess with little damage, I for one will never again take for granted what I may have come to have taken for granted. I have lived on the GOM all my life and I have had a lot of retrospective thoughtthe last couple of weeks. Pray for the best.
+50

·
Registered
34 Posts
I suggest you read in full the story. The SMALLEST leak was capped. The domes may not work so be cool about what your expectations are. The drilling to cement the main line will take BTWN 2 and 3 months and we are now counting on the domes as a temp fix. We will in a couple of months start to experience some bad wx patterns in that time frame.

They are resistant to take a chance of sending down another valve because the pipe as is has a kink in it that is somewhat slowing the flow. Once cut if things go bad the flow rate could increase 10 fold.

"BP continues to look at installing a new blowout preventer (BOP) on top of the existing well, which could then be used to shut the well.

However, if the plan does not work it could cause the flow from the well to increase by eliminating the back pressure created by the crimped riser. The fleet inventory indicates the Deepwater Horizon's riser was provided by Vetco. "

Full article

http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article214055.ece

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
So far I have heard NOTHING that would make me believe anything BP says :doh ... they certainly haven't "Earned" any respect with all the false statements made during this fiasco :boo ... I'm always optimistic , but DAAAAAAAAAAAAANNGGG :hoppingmad

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
sealark (05/05/2010)Well just heard that BP has capped one of the leaks and the dome will be deployed today "Wed." It looks like all the doom and gloom wont happen as everyone had predicted. Chicken little lives on..

Wow. The sky already fell. It just hasn't landed yet, but don't worry.

When it hits, you'll hear it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yep, we won't come out of this unscathed.....

Xanadu (06/05/2010)

sealark (05/05/2010)Well just heard that BP has capped one of the leaks and the dome will be deployed today "Wed." It looks like all the doom and gloom wont happen as everyone had predicted. Chicken little lives on..

Wow. The sky already fell. It just hasn't landed yet, but don't worry.

When it hits, you'll hear it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
we gota stay optomistic. iknow 2mill gal is alot of oil per day but figure up how many gal of water in the gulf .... im not saying no damage is done but i do belive it will be reversable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was just a couple years ago we had a major sewage line break on Pensacola beach which supposedly dumped millions of gallons of raw sewage into the bay. Then the county pumped 8 million gallons of chlorine into the bay. 2 million gallons of oil over a hundred miles from pensacola couldn't possibly be worse than what we have already done in our own community. Hell what about what the plants flush out at night and in less than favorable weather. You did not stop eating the fish or even stay out of the water for long. As soon as the leak is stopped. life will return to normal and we caqn get back to our 6 weeks of hurricane ridden Snapper season. We should switch months with the commercial guys.

·
Registered
502 Posts
yeah...the whole 'chicken little' reference doesn't really fit the scenario we've been dealing with the last couple of weeks. Things don't look quite like the worst case scenario that has been described at times, but unfortunately, this isn't over yet.

And I whole heartedly agree with whomever said 'if we get through this with few problems, I'll never take our fishery for granted again.'

1 - 14 of 14 Posts