Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a shimano citica reeland a 7 ft medium light st croix casting rod. I am fairlynew to using bait casters and thought this would be a good route to go for using swim baits, spoons and possibly top water lures in shore.

I am under the impression that this 7 foot rod is toolong for casting light lures like swim baits and is increasing my backlash. I also can't cast nearly as far as I can with a spinning set up. I have spooled 12lb extra limp trilene. Using a top water lure is really difficult because I am use to using braided line with less give and "walking the dog" just does not feel as natural.

Any suggestions? maybe a smaller rod? I've messed with the brakes and all that good stuff. I can cast a spoon with ease, but when it comes to lighter lures its just a pain. Also, should my casting come from my wrist?

·
Super Moderator
20,433 Posts
You do lose a little distance with a casting reel over a spinning reel but I like a casting rod alot better, once you get use to it you will not check up once. Every rod I have is 6'6", 7', or 7'6". You want a lighter action for your lighter lures. If you want to shoot me a pm Friday and we can meet up and I have about a dozen different rods of different actions, and if you find one you like maybe we could work out a trade. I have St Croix, Shimano Calcutta and Teramars, Falcon, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts