Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the WMA’s I usually hunt allow ATV’s for game retrieval, pretty convenient but some places I go I cannot get a ATV to due to creek crossings, thick woods, etc.

But over the past few years ive expanded my range by cleaning deer in the woods and packing meat out (which is legal as long as you can prove sex, gotta bring head out too) Ive been doing this by cleaning em while they lay on the ground, very doable, but also kind of a PIA, main reason is I hate to squat! But anyway, Ive managed to get it done and have packed out maybe 10-12 deer this way.

I been wanting To find a easier/cleaner/no squatting way to do it and I think I have the solution.

I bought one of those 2 pulley Game lifting rigs... it sucked out of the box, but after a couple improvements , it is 100% better.

I replaced the heavy 40’ piece of 1/4” nylon rope with 50’ of 3/16” synthetic Winch rope, I also replaced both of the heavy steel snap hooks with 2 aluminum 2000# rated carabiners. This total weight of this rig is less than 2# .

I also have 2 18” 1” webbing straps that I will pack with it. 1 will be used to attach pulley to seat portion of my climbing stand Which I will have on tree about 8-10’ high and the other will be used to loop around deers neck so I can clean em “head up”. Im cleaner skinning one Head up And for me they are just quicker to skin that way.

pictures of it in use are soon to come!
Below are the before and after mods pics.

Natural material Jewellery Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory

Electric blue Wire Rope Gas Cable

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Works great, been doing that a lot of years. Just take an extra length of that amsteel blue or a piece of mule tape, throw it over a limb, pull your upper set of blocks up and tie it off to the tree instead of having to go back up and get your stand. Tie a bottle of water in the end of the line, it'll make it easy to throw. Good looking eyes in that rope by the way, the thimble is a good idea to keep it from running back through the block.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
So, the WMA’s I usually hunt allow ATV’s for game retrieval, pretty convenient but some places I go I cannot get a ATV to due to creek crossings, thick woods, etc.

But over the past few years ive expanded my range by cleaning deer in the woods and packing meat out (which is legal as long as you can prove sex, gotta bring head out too) Ive been doing this by cleaning em while they lay on the ground, very doable, but also kind of a PIA, main reason is I hate to squat! But anyway, Ive managed to get it done and have packed out maybe 10-12 deer this way.

I been wanting To find a easier/cleaner/no squatting way to do it and I think I have the solution.

I bought one of those 2 pulley Game lifting rigs... it sucked out of the box, but after a couple improvements , it is 100% better.

I replaced the heavy 40’ piece of 1/4” nylon rope with 50’ of 3/16” synthetic Winch rope, I also replaced both of the heavy steel snap hooks with 2 aluminum 2000# rated carabiners. This total weight of this rig is less than 2# .

I also have 2 18” 1” webbing straps that I will pack with it. 1 will be used to attach pulley to seat portion of my climbing stand Which I will have on tree about 8-10’ high and the other will be used to loop around deers neck so I can clean em “head up”. Im cleaner skinning one Head up And for me they are just quicker to skin that way.

pictures of it in use are soon to come!
Below are the before and after mods pics.

View attachment 1095805
View attachment 1095806
Works great, been doing that a lot of years. Just take an extra length of that amsteel blue or a piece of mule tape, throw it over a limb, pull your upper set of blocks up and tie it off to the tree instead of having to go back up and get your stand. Tie a bottle of water in the end of the line, it'll make it easy to throw. Good looking eyes in that rope by the way, the thimble is a good idea to keep it from running back through the block.
Ya'll got it figured out. Use to do the same when me and friends hunted the Army Corp land up here. Most of the time there would be a couple few of us to drag a deer or 2. But on those days when one or more of us walked in deep and got in a fire fight with a herd of pigs. That got broke out with the garbage bags and back packs. Even had a small and large single tree. Never hung one buy the neck and don't doubt it works just never done it that way. I worked in a slaughter house when I was young and can snatch the pantie's off one the way I was taught there. Very quick and clean. Now doing it on the ground Na I can't do that very well I get hair everywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts