Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the Pond Scum was riding the river again!

My Dad (greatest Dad in the world, he passed in 2006) bought the Pond Scum for me when I was 14. 39 years ago. The Pond Scum has been passed around for years, finally ending up in farm ponds for the infrequent trip.

A few months ago I brought her home and made sure she didn't leak. Solid as she could be! Found a 3.5 HP outboard (Thanks Old Flathead!) and got her running. Next to register in Alabama. Well that was an chore, took 4 visits to the license office but finally got a sticker.

Today went to launch her for the first time in the Alabama River in many years. My Dad was the kind of shade tree engineer who never met anything he couldn't improve (or break enough to make it useless.) So the trailer the Pond Scum had in the 80s was now a pretty cool utility trailer. Flatbed wooden with stake and slat sides.

So I pull the slat sides and put the Pond Scum on the trailer. Backed down the ramp at the fish camp and thought I'd do what you always do solo launching. Tie the boat to the bank, back in, and when the boat floats off, pull up and fish! Right??

Wrong. It all worked as intended. Boat floated off, I pulled up to park and.... Where's the trailer deck? Well it must have floated off. Wooden deck, no fasteners. Ok Dad you got me. Stop laughing up there in heaven.

So the deck must be in the water. I can't find it. The ramp was just repoured so I ease into knee depth feeling the nasty muddy water with my bare feet. One more step and ... hat floater. Forgot they dredged the ramp area so now I'm in about 6 ft of water. I ain't that tall.

Glasses survive, hat easily recovered. Then I see the trailer bed. The boat is floating nicely on the wooden flat trailer bed.

So I back the trailer frame in, pull the trailer bed onto it with some effort, then back to the cabin for dry clothes and a refill on the cocktail. Back to the boat and on the river again after over 35 years!!!

Netted some shad and tried for some catfish but that was just icing. The Pond Scum flys at the speed of smell with the 3.5 Merc. I'm going to add a fish finder, some lights, and a ton of catfish jugs so catfish, look out!

Writing this up reminds me how much my Dad sacrificed to get me this boat years ago. He spent several hundred dollars he worked really hard to earn so I could enjoy my passion of fishing. He would drop me and the boat off a the launch at 5 AM on the way to work, then pick my up at 4 on the way home. I miss my Dad and wish I could tell him how much I appreciated what he did for me, that I didn't really appreciate back then.

I hope my son can pass the Pond Scum down to his kid one day. It still doesn't leak a drop!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and it IS tippy.....

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
What a great read. Thank you. Interestingly enough, your dad would be considered an irresponsible father compared to today's standards. Who lets their 14 year old son fish by himself in a boat all day? Oh for the good ole days!

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
Ahhhhhh memories you can cherish!!! Good read!!!!

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Great story with lots of stuff overlapping with my memories.

I SWEAR I heard my Uncle Brute laughing from above the day I was leaving my Dad's lake house and stepped in dog shit.

I had a 12' aluminum boat with a 4hp 'Rude on the back. The speed of smell is right. Its name was the Pie Pan. Not as cool as the Pond Scum. :notworthy:

And since you had the greatest Dad in the world, we must be brothers.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Great read Phillip. Would have loved to see ya' step off the edge. Would've laughed with ya', not at ya'. BTW, how is Cody doing? John Alan said he's been staying with them in T-Town for a couple of days till he can get settled in.

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mark...

Great read Phillip. Would have loved to see ya' step off the edge. Would've laughed with ya', not at ya'. BTW, how is Cody doing? John Alan said he's been staying with them in T-Town for a couple of days till he can get settled in.
Cody is struggling to find his way in the world. I'm struggling to help him. It will work out though.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Knowing that boy the way I do, he's going to be just fine. Diego's there as well so they should be having a pretty good time. Heath is supposed to move out sometime this week so there should be some more room then. John Alan moved into Roberts room when he moved down to Daphne after graduation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dads, boats, trailers, and the water: more than a handful of good stories and plenty of good memories are composed with just those 4 nouns.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,985 Posts
You've had a ladder in that thing during the Ling run, right?

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pond Scum update

Had to take her out today. Got home at 5:30, on the river by 6. Hit Alligator Creek AKA the Big Ditch. First castnet 8 or 9 shad. Pulled up on the bank at the mouth of AC AKA BD and put out the tight lines. Man I've forgotten how relaxing catfishing can be. Watched the water for a bit then.... twitch? Twitch twitch? The rod bowed and I'm on .. for 2 seconds. Lost 3 or 4 then stuck a small flathead. Turned him/her loose to get bigger. No other action, headed home at wharf speed (you can walk down the wharf about as fast as she runs).

Back home with no additional adventures and proud to have run the Scum one more time. That river is amazing and just what the dr ordered after a stressful day at work.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great post! My Dad and I used to fish (40 years ago) out of a narrow john boat similar to yours. That was the only boat I ever fell out of. One time when I took a deep hard stroke with the paddle the boat tipped a bit and I just went head first into the river! Made a good story (for Dad)!

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
What a great read. Thank you. Interestingly enough, your dad would be considered an irresponsible father compared to today's standards. Who lets their 14 year old son fish by himself in a boat all day? Oh for the good ole days!
I hope you caught the jist of what I'm saying here. I love that at 14, you fished all day. Great dad indeed!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts