Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been 20 years since I dove the Army tanks that start about 11 miles SSE out of the pass. Anyone know if they’re still there? Even at that time, they had been down a long time, and some were beginning to subside, some were on their sides, but I remember there was one that sat perfectly upright on the sand with its gun barrel sticking straight out looking like it was ready for battle. I’m just curious. Was thinking about hitting them again for a dive when it warms up to about 95:)

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I dove them when they were first put down.and last year. They hold snapper and occasionally grouper. They have change quite a bit from first going down. They get hit a lot.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dove a couple of them about two years ago... they are still there.
But it hasn't quite been 20 years. That was the site of our hammerhead dive in '07.
Haha! Yes, the greatest hammerhead experience ever (I can say “greatest” because I was in the boat watching you and Paul get sized up for dinner 😁). Hey Felix. I didn’t realize that was ‘07, so approximately 14 years; not 20. I guess I shouldn’t make myself older than I am, which is old enough 😬.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We dive them quite frequently and they are hit or miss with some of the more popular targeted species. I've seen some monster triggers on tanks in the past. Here is a dive we did last year looking for lionfish. This one is upright and still in pretty good condition.
Nice! Thanks. Man, those are some big lionfish. Those things look like they’re a couple pounds.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Thanks for the video. It looks like there are 8 of them. I’d like to check them out this Summer

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Cool video, thanks!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
We dive them quite frequently and they are hit or miss with some of the more popular targeted species. I've seen some monster triggers on tanks in the past. Here is a dive we did last year looking for lionfish. This one is upright and still in pretty good condition.
Doesn't seem to bother them that you just shot their buddy 1 foot away, does it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Thanks for the video. It looks like there are 8 of them. I’d like to check them out this Summer
There are actually quite a few. We dove a spot in AL about 3 years ago (well technically I guess it was Federal waters) and there were 3 of them together. If you have the AL public numbers, you'll see several scattered amongst the pyramids they have. The spot in this video is about 10 miles due south of Pensacola Pass.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Doesn't seem to bother them that you just shot their buddy 1 foot away, does it?
Most of the time their buddies are completely oblivious. No natural predators in this area so they've adapted the don't give a shit attitude. With the way regulations are now, it's about the only thing you can hunt year round with no limit. They make some of the best fish tacos you'll ever eat!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I appreciate your killing those lionfish. And they are great on the plate!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts