Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went sheephead fishing with jjam, choppedliver and his dad on tuesday (4/7/2010). Did not get on the water till about 11 am or so. Stayed till about 3:30 or so.

The bite was pretty good, and we pulled up some monster sheephead! One weighed over 8 pounds. Choppedliver caught it. We all just KNEW he had a bull red on the line, but it turned out to be sheephead on steroids!

Then, as we were in the midst of the sheephead, I hung a 24 inch grouper! KEEPER!!! My first ever inshore grouper that was legal....

And then, as we were all marvelling over the wide variety of fish that can be caught in Pensacola Bay, what do you know! Choppedliver's dad caught this guy! A trigger fish! IN THE BAY!!!! Now I have seen it all....... We also caught a red snapper, only 14 inches or so. Not surprised about that one. They are EVERYWHERE... Did not think it was worth a picture.

Over 21 inches. Over 8 pounds!

Anyone need any replacement teeth????

The end...... Till next time!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I think we agreed that the biggest one was actually 23 or 24 inches if you measured to the end of the top part of the tail... it was a monster. Pulled like a red, stripping line off

BTW, GRILLED SHEEPHEAD IS AWESOME!!!!! Very firm texture, delicious sweet white meat!!! Right up their with flounder IMHO

Soaked in milk for one hour, grilled on gas grill with some olive oil and spices basted on it while cooking

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Great report! So what kind of structure were you fishing? There had to be structure right with that kind of variety of fish inshore!?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
AquaSport175 (4/8/2010)Good Stuff!!! I like the green machine you are floating on. Did you paint it yourself or did it come like that?

Thats a green "rhino lining" jimmy had sprayed on the boat. Works great!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
69Viking (4/8/2010)Great report! So what kind of structure were you fishing? There had to be structure right with that kind of variety of fish inshore!?
Just some rough bottom. No real structure or wreck. Probably some big rocks, I figure.

·
Registered
541 Posts
hell yeah! that was a damn good time I bet! Your right about no surprise on the red snapper! I dont see much of us leaving the bay to get our limit in the first week or two! hah All fish caught using live shrimp? :clap

our bay system is awesome if you really think about it.. We have the pleasure to fish in 50 to 60 feet water with so many ledges and rummage of trash to catch a good grade of offshore fish! You typically need to be fishing conventional tackle like you would offshore to have the upperhand.. but with lighter flouro.. unless the bite is hot than go up in the poundage!

I am curious if this bite will last through summer.. i am thinking it will slow a good bit with the bait increasing offshore.. any thoughts on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts