Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 18ft Scout to the Maintenance Shoppe, to have several things done and couldn't be happier. After taking my boat out, I experienced no problems, boat ran fine, and was glad to run all the old gas off. Gavin and his employees were extremely nice, and explained the issues that were going on with my boat very well.

I plan on taking my boat here for future issues.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Its hard to find a good boat mechanic anymore, as most have retired, or due to the economy have closed shop and went to work at one of the big marinas or dealers.

Lets support the few that are still independent and do a great job! Not often do you hear about the good, but plenty of the bad..

·
Bassmaster
610 Posts
I took my boat to Gavin this spring for a 100 hr service job and they did a great job for me as well. He explained in detail several things that I can do to improve the performance on my boat, had a quick turnaround time (I took it in on Tuesday and picked up Friday of the same week) and all of this at a fair price. I'll be back for another service next year and I try to send everyone I know his way.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,306 Posts
I looked on their website at some of the before and after wiring jobs and I'm not impressed at all. Inferior connectors and terminals were used.

I guess their mechanical expertise is much better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I took my old flats boat there because it would slip into gear and couldn't trust it to idle. They fixed it but the price was 5 times higher then what they quoted and i told them to call if price had to go up. Didn't get a call and i go back the next week to check progress and have a $1500 repair bill. They couldn't give me a breakdown of the different charges and the parts. I paid it very reluctantly but will never go back. Half ass work to to it off. They show no pride in their business.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
So 3 positive and 2 negative comments.
I don't know "Gavin" or what kind of work he does.

It does appear He has been in the same location for a long time, operating under the same business name. If you screw most everyone, you cannot achieve that and remain in business.
Boat mechanics are no different from automotive mechanics. There are good and bad ones, and good ones that the customer thinks are bad, and are bad!
This is why I do all of my own repairs, from engine rebuilds to repairing a bow light. I can only blame myself in the end.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'll add a positive. I used Gavin to to install a remam lower unit on my 21 footer. It had a 12 month warranty and lasted 15 months. It wasn't his fault, he just installed it. The internal gears failed. Since it was out of warranty and the reman place didn't want to do any kind of goodwill deal, I had him get the parts and repair it himself and he cut me a decent deal on the work. Worked fine for years after that.

For what it is worth, I would take my boat back to Gavin before I took it to Kenny. I know Kenny has a lot of fans on this site. I like the Kenny but I won't take my boat to him anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts