Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We do this several times ayear and donate the meat to hunters feeding the hungry. I'm heading up Friday for another great doe shoot.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Any time you need or want another safe and ethical gun to help - let me know. I think every hunter should donate to Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry, www.fhfh.org and the Buckmasters American Deer Foundation (www.badf.org) - they do Disabled Hunts.

Ed

·
Registered
210 Posts
Would love to do our part on doe thinnin but with one week and only one Sat., Sun. to get them and WORK usually only gives us 2 days to do it in and thats IF the weather works with you!!! Does usually are so thick on the farm we hunt you just about have to kick them out the way UNTIL the one or two days a year we get to hunt them then its like trying to find the winning lotto numbers. Florida has it set up where its very hard to get your meat/doe thinnin in unless you dont mind killing young bucks which we dont do.. Sure wish they would at least make it 2 weeks or at least include 2 weekends durring doe days so maybe we could have a chance at getting 1!!!Most of the does on the farm we huntare dieing of old age. I'm a little frustrated with doe days we didnt get one this year or last and it ends Friday which I have to work!!!! What follows 5 days of beautiful weather? The weekend!! :banghead

·
Registered
506 Posts
I agree with you KoolKat...The working man only has 2 day's to hunt and this past weekend, one of those days was crappy weather. I wish atleast the folks making the FL rules would let it run a Fri-Sun or a 2 week doe spree.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
KoolKat - What about doe tags; couldn't you apply for tags to use anytime during the season since you have that many deer on your property. I thought if one could prove the property was over-populated, you can obtain a certain amount of tags from the FWC folks. Is that wrong?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im not sure its not my property we are just lucky enough to be friends with them and they allow us to huntthere. I'm sure you can apply for tags but not sure the owner would even want to do that? Thanks for the heads up though. They need to do something like that cause there are a bunch of does on his land but only visible when we cant hunt them like this weekend they will be laying in front of our stands!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Applying for tags also depends on the amount of land you have. For instance I have 30 acres in Jackson County that I have always hunted with great success. Even though I have only a 30 acre tract, the land owner on 3 sides of me has 2,500 acreas ag and timber. He hunts but no where near me, just respect for each other and the fact I have known him all my life helps. Now he has doe tags for his property but I dont. I do usually see 10-15 does everytime I sit but they come from is property and move through mine. So I wonder if I could get some tags, that would be great. At least 5 tags would be good.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I only bring it up because a friend hunts in a club in Walnut Hill that gets over one hundred doe tags a season and they fill EVERY one of them. I know they have a good bit of land and the president actually owns and farms the land, so that may have something to do with it.

BTW, sorry to derail the thread and I agree that "doe thinning" is crucial to QDM programs. In fact, I participated in one last week in Central AL that ultimately took 52 does and 8 pigs. Good times!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I Hunt Perdido Still Hunt Assn. 4000 acres( Walnut Hill ) & manage 300 acres of my own, the permits got cut back from 100 to 60 & I applied for 6 ea on the 300 acres plot & only got 2 ea thru the FWC,its too late to apply for them now. Usually see 5 -12 per sit but it didn't matter to the FWC.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bill, I hunt in the club right beside you, (River Pasture) and Ross gave us 60 as well, and we have right at 5500 acres. How many bucks have ya'll taken so far?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure if you were speaking to me but I did hunt archery season every weekend of it got drawn twice but no shots!! I did get drawn on the biggest buck I've ever seen but he wouldnt give me a shot due to a bush he wouldnt come out from. 3 of us hunted archery seasonbut no luck. Both draws I got were bucks no does came close enough but thats ok I had a blast...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts