Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is the end of LORAN:

I cut and pasted the meat of the notice.

SUBJ: LONG RANGE NAVIGATION (LORAN-C) TERMINATION
1. EARLIER THIS YEAR, AFTER RELEASE OF THE PRESIDENTS FY10
BUDGET REQUEST THAT IDENTIFIED LORAN-C FOR TERMINATION

ON OCTOBER 28, 2009,THE PRESIDENT SIGNED THE 2010 DEPARTMENT
OF HOMELAND SECURITY APPROPRIATIONS ACT, WHICH DIRECTS THE COAST
GUARD TO DISCONTINUE LORAN-C OPERATIONS NOT EARLIER THAN 4 JAN 2010
AS LONG AS CERTAIN CONDITIONS ARE MET.

2. THE ACT REQUIRES THE COMMANDANT TO CERTIFY THAT
TERMINATION OF THE OPERATION OF THE LORAN-C SIGNAL WILL NOT
ADVERSELY IMPACT THE SAFETY OF MARITIME NAVIGATION, AND
FURTHER REQUIRES THE SECRETARY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND
SECURITY TO CERTIFY THAT THE LORAN-C SYSTEM INFRASTRUCTURE IS NOT
NEEDED AS A BACKUP TO THE GPS SYSTEM OR TO MEET ANY OTHER FEDERAL
NAVIGATION REQUIREMENT. WHEN THOSE CERTIFICATIONS ARE MADE, THE
U.S. COAST GUARD SHALL, COMMENCING JANUARY 4, 2010, TERMINATE THE
TRANSMISSION OF THE LORAN-C SIGNAL AND COMMENCE A PHASED
DECOMMISSIONING OF THE LORAN-C SYSTEM INFRASTRUCTURE.

The full text is at: http://www.uscg.mil/announcements/al...09_alcoast.txt

I say it's overdue to be shut down it's outdated and not needed with the accuracy of GPS and the number of Sats that are up there. It was the best in its day, Hope you all have all your numbere converted...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree..

It is time for it to go...

I can use that space in the closet where I keep the old lorans. Actually I threw away two just this weekend. That seals the deal for a couple others that I kept around for one reason or the other. Mainly just the memories. Caught a lot of fish through the years with those old lorans..

Ronnie

·
Registered
549 Posts
I remember when LORAN "A" first came out. The box was so big it would almost sink a small boat. And you still had to switch back and forth to get an approximant position. Then LORAN "C" came out and we thought that was the cat's meow. Then GPS and now with wasp. What next will come out. I guess with the water discovery on the moon they will have to find a way to find the fish on the moon. But GPS won't work there. So like all things new, some day they get old and are retired. LOL Gene

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I disagree. I wish they would have kept it on as a back-up. The military can takeaway our accessto GPS at anytime if the need arises and we would be stuck with nothing but charts. This wouldn't effect just fishing boats, but all boat and ship traffic (oil, cargo. etc.). I was told they are developing loran E for this reason, butdon't know if it is true.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P-cola_Native (12/1/2009)I disagree. I wish they would have kept it on as a back-up. The military can takeaway our accessto GPS at anytime if the need arises and we would be stuck with nothing but charts. This wouldn't effect just fishing boats, but all boat and ship traffic (oil, cargo. etc.). I was told they are developing loran E for this reason, butdon't know if it is true.
You are disagreeing for an invalid reason. The GPS system can now send differential signals to a specific spot unlike when it was first initiated. If they want to have Afghanistan get differential for a certain reason they can transmit the signals to that area and not effect the US. So I doubt it will ever be shut off completely with the many many sats that are up there. I think I was tracking around 10 or 12 the last time I looked.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
sealark (12/1/2009)
P-cola_Native (12/1/2009)I disagree. I wish they would have kept it on as a back-up. The military can takeaway our accessto GPS at anytime if the need arises and we would be stuck with nothing but charts. This wouldn't effect just fishing boats, but all boat and ship traffic (oil, cargo. etc.). I was told they are developing loran E for this reason, butdon't know if it is true.
You are disagreeing for an invalid reason. The GPS system can now send differential signals to a specific spot unlike when it was first initiated. If they want to have Afghanistan get differential for a certain reason they can transmit the signals to that area and not effect the US. So I doubt it will ever be shut off completely with the many many sats that are up there. I think I was tracking around 10 or 12 the last time I looked.
That also might be true but Eglin can make your life miserable here. They have blocked it when they have a long range shot fired from a Submarine out in the Gulf.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
DreamWeaver21 (12/1/2009)This is the 3rd or 4th drop dead dead that I have read about for Loran C. I bet it out lives this one as well.

The link is 404.
First time drop scare was around 1988 . I'm +2 on it staying around for back up. There are alot of If's when ect before it can be dropped.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Scott,

The loran IMHO should stay. The Loran A was the forerunner to "C". C was great when it worked. Several factors could alter the repeatability, but a well set up machine would get you close enough to find the fish. The reason I wish it would stay is because if it became necessary because of national defense to turn off GPS to keep a missle from landing any where the enemy chose, the LORA(long range) N (navigation) would aid mariners in finding port or continueing to fish while GPS was turned off. With all the waste and silly social hand-out programs, it seems that the powers that be would keep the next best thing around.

Back to the machine itself, it works with 3 independant stations, one master and 2 slaves stations. Each station combo was assigned a GRI (group repetition interval) ours was 7980.... The gubmint had stations set up all over the world. I guess its just a matter of years that our kids wont be saying "we went out to a spot in the 60s" anymore.... Hope everyones tied up good... we will have an Ida type storm surge this evening and tommorow morning. Just my rainy day 2cents. Jim

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
I personally think it is a major bummer. I have mostly loran numbers and have not been dilligent in converting them. I run on loran all the time with no problems at all. Yes gps is more accurate but loran c worked great if you worked it properly.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Lobsterman,

Not to fret too much, Northstar uses a phantom loran program. You can shift from Lat Lons to TDs in this mode. The problem is that you will be off by as much as three tenths on the top or bottom # so... find a known spot and look up the published loran# on that wreck and just do the math. That might help locate some of those lost ledges or old car bodies.

The 941 and 951 both have this technology... Im not sure about the other models.

Good luck

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Hook, a GPS is a trollers best friend when it comes to working bottom contours such as those found at the nipple, spur, etc. By watching the contour lines on your screen you don't have to watch your compass and depthfinder to stay on the desired depth lines, you simply watch the screen and shift direction when necessary to maintain the proper fishing depth.

lobsterman, if this actually does happen when statedI would make the time to go out to your bottom spots and mark them with a GPS so you have the exact coordinates cause as stated somewhere above the Loran #'s if converted can/will be off by a varying margin and I've experienced them being off by as much as 150 yards or so; enough to where you may not find the spot and have to move off somewhere else.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
tunapopper (12/2/2009)Hook, a GPS is a trollers best friend when it comes to working bottom contours such as those found at the nipple, spur, etc. By watching the contour lines on your screen you don't have to watch your compass and depthfinder to stay on the desired depth lines, you simply watch the screen and shift direction when necessary to maintain the proper fishing depth.

lobsterman, if this actually does happen when statedI would make the time to go out to your bottom spots and mark them with a GPS so you have the exact coordinates cause as stated somewhere above the Loran #'s if converted can/will be off by a varying margin and I've experienced them being off by as much as 150 yards or so; enough to where you may not find the spot and have to move off somewhere else.
Thamks, I have found that to be true already. I will not be able to make it out in my little dinghy this winter so i will have to rely on conversion numbers or just loose out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts