Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I will tell them. They have more at stake than you or me. Why don't you go over there an walk in a bar after they shut down those drillers and say how proud you are of that and ask how they gonna feed thier families? You really want to see thousands of jobs lost?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I guess I'm one of the dumb ones Because I agree with your statement Downtime. Are there peoples lives being affected in Louisiana and around the gulf coast yes. Do I agree we should stop drilling.....HELL NO! Get rid of the EPA standards that say we can't utilize the oil we pull from the gulf use our own supplies and get our country where it is not dependent on someone elses oil. Just wait the President already said he wants to see us pay as much as Europe for a gallon of gas, the plan is in action!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I didn't say stop drilling offshore. I said I dont support deepwater drilling, big difference. My new stance on it is if you cant put hands on the problem then you cant fix it. If its not shallow enough to send divers down and fix it then I dont support it. Apparently the safeguards that "exist" for deepwater drilling arent good enough.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
weatherman (30/05/2010)I didn't say stop drilling offshore. I said I dont support deepwater drilling, big difference. My new stance on it is if you cant put hands on the problem then you cant fix it. If its not shallow enough to send divers down and fix it then I dont support it. Apparently the safeguards that "exist" for deepwater drilling arent good enough.
There are plenty and ample safegaurds...... They have to be followed to be effective.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Thats a very good point Downtime. I hope that you understand my position, its very hard for me to trust any oil company due to this fiasco. Its obvious that BP was cutting corners out there. So what do you do? If one company is cutting corners and was getting away with it how do we know that others arent doing the same to keep up with production and profits. They want to keep their shareholders happy just as much as BP does theirs.

·
Super Moderator
5,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same thing FDOT does with us....enforce the rules!! Those who were in charge ONSITE at the time need to be asked a few questions. I can't see shutting down a whole industry offshore for the sins of one rig. That would equal shutting all the airlines down because one airline was found negligentin a crash. Like I said, safegaurds and rules are in place, they have to be adhered to though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
weatherman

<span id=ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_lblFullMessage>I didn't say stop drilling offshore. I said I dont support deepwater drilling, big difference. My new stance on it is if you cant put hands on the problem then you cant fix it. If its not shallow enough to send divers down and fix it then I dont support it. Apparently the safeguards that "exist" for deepwater drilling arent good enough.
I think the rules and safeguards are there, but just like with everything they have to be followed. The way it looks BP had a couple people who did care for life or rules when they change normal operations to save money. How many less LEO would we need if everyone would follow the rules and regulations on the highways.

I wonder if they will every plug the well, not because they can't butbecause it is such a good producer that they want some way to save it. At today market value that well is spilling about 2 million dollars a day with the new output estimate. I figure they now have engineered a way to attach a valve on top of the BOP but need time to make it so they won't have to plug it. It will be interesting to see if they ever do completely plug this well, time will tell.

Oldstandard from decades ago, Dilute Don't Pollute.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
In an airline crash if there is a problem with equipment all of that type of aircraft are grounded until the part is replaced/inspected. The airlines usually make that happen pretty quickly, within a few days.

The majority of aircraft crashes are due to human factors, not mechanical. Weather is sometimes a contributing factor, like in the Polish President's plane crash, near zero visibility due to fog, ATC said dont land, the Polish President pushed his pilot to land and they didnt make it. Pretty hard to land a plane in zero visibility going 140kts.

I think stopping all deepwater drilling for "reinspection" to ensure the "safeguards" are being met is prudent at this point. Now, who does these inspections? The same government employees that are buddy buddy with the oil companies. The trust factor here is pretty low.

Screw me once, screw me twice type deal in my mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Downtime2 (30/05/2010)Same thing FDOT does with us....enforce the rules!! Those who were in charge ONSITE at the time need to be asked a few questions. I can't see shutting down a whole industry offshore for the sins of one rig. That would equal shutting all the airlines down because one airline was found negligentin a crash. Like I said, safegaurds and rules are in place, they have to be adhered to though.
+1

We can't shut down an entire industry because of one accident, learn from it and enforce the rules better, but its obvious that we need to improve our deep water engineering techniques and technology. We've been to the moon more times than we've been to the Challenger Deep. There's a lot of difficulties with all that pressure and working with ROV's. But its tough to argue againstslowing down our deep waterdrillinguntil we can design something to fix underwater leaks before 15 million gallons spill into the ocean.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
alle9219 (30/05/2010)
Downtime2 (30/05/2010)Same thing FDOT does with us....enforce the rules!! Those who were in charge ONSITE at the time need to be asked a few questions. I can't see shutting down a whole industry offshore for the sins of one rig. That would equal shutting all the airlines down because one airline was found negligentin a crash. Like I said, safegaurds and rules are in place, they have to be adhered to though.
+1

We can't shut down an entire industry because of one accident, learn from it and enforce the rules better, but its obvious that we need to improve our deep water engineering techniques and technology. We've been to the moon more times than we've been to the Challenger Deep. There's a lot of difficulties with all that pressure and working with ROV's. But its tough to argue againstslowing down our deep waterdrillinguntil we can design something to fix underwater leaks before 15 million gallons spill into the ocean.
My position is not to shut down the entire industry, my position is to stop all deepwater drilling until the last line of your post comes to fruition.

·
Registered
98 Posts
alle9219 (30/05/2010)
+1

+2

We need oil unless we all want to drastically change our lifestyles. However, there should/must be multiple safe guards and fail safes that work beyond a shadow of a doubt should this ever occur again..... whether it be deep or shallow water drilling. And these safe guards and fail safes must be enforced with an iron fist.

IF anyone violates them the penalty should be more than severe, both money and jail time; along with cancellation of any and all leases FOREVER for the violator at the first violation. NO SECOND CHANCES.......

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
weatherman (30/05/2010)In an airline crash if there is a problem with equipment all of that type of aircraft are grounded until the part is replaced/inspected. The airlines usually make that happen pretty quickly, within a few days.

The majority of aircraft crashes are due to human factors, not mechanical. Weather is sometimes a contributing factor, like in the Polish President's plane crash, near zero visibility due to fog, ATC said dont land, the Polish President pushed his pilot to land and they didnt make it. Pretty hard to land a plane in zero visibility going 140kts.

I think stopping all deepwater drilling for "reinspection" to ensure the "safeguards" are being met is prudent at this point. Now, who does these inspections? The same government employees that are buddy buddy with the oil companies. The trust factor here is pretty low.

I was going to say if you trust the Govt any more than you do BP or any other gas and oil company, then you are sadly mistaken. Three quarters of the problems we face today as a people and a nation are due to Govt meddling where thye don't belong. So allowing the Govt to interject any thing is like asking the kaboos to run the train. The Govt and the oil companies and the auto makers have been in cahoots for so long it isn't even funny. Simply put the more the gas costs consumers the more the Govt makes in taxes. Don't kid yourself and think there isn't alterior motives on their part. I will be honest with you I trust BP more than I do this current administration.

·
Registered
53 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold;">You should only be allowed a deep water permit if you are going to drill a relief well along with the main production well. I believe these are Canada's rules even for exploratory drilling in Canadian waters.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Also they should immediately order relief wells drilled on all active producing deep water sites. Otherwise get the hell out of the Gulf of Mexico.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">That should keep everyone gainfully employed and ensure that a disaster like this can't happen again in the near future.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
chrisnnavarre (30/05/2010)<span style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">You should only be allowed a deep water permit if you are going to drill a relief well along with the main production well. I believe these are Canada's rules even for exploratory drilling in Canadian waters.

<span style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Also they should immediately order relief wells drilled on all active producing deep water sites. Otherwise get the hell out of the Gulf of Mexico.

<span style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">That should keep everyone gainfully employed and ensure that a disaster like this can't happen again in the near future.
Damn, thats brilliant.

·
Registered
138 Posts
lobsterman (30/05/2010)
weatherman (30/05/2010)In an airline crash if there is a problem with equipment all of that type of aircraft are grounded until the part is replaced/inspected. The airlines usually make that happen pretty quickly, within a few days.

I was going to say if you trust the Govt any more than you do BP or any other gas and oil company, then you are sadly mistaken. Three quarters of the problems we face today as a people and a nation are due to Govt meddling where thye don't belong. So allowing the Govt to interject any thing is like asking the kaboos to run the train. The Govt and the oil companies and the auto makers have been in cahoots for so long it isn't even funny. Simply put the more the gas costs consumers the more the Govt makes in taxes. Don't kid yourself and think there isn't alterior motives on their part. I will be honest with you I trust BP more than I do this current administration.
And they are glad to know they have succeeded in the great American boondoggle. Keep worrying about the Government while you bend over and take it guy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
weatherman (30/05/2010)
chrisnnavarre (30/05/2010)<span style="font-weight: bold;">You should only be allowed a deep water permit if you are going to drill a relief well along with the main production well. I believe these are Canada's rules even for exploratory drilling in Canadian waters.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Also they should immediately order relief wells drilled on all active producing deep water sites. Otherwise get the hell out of the Gulf of Mexico.

<span style="font-weight: bold;">That should keep everyone gainfully employed and ensure that a disaster like this can't happen again in the near future.
Damn, thats brilliant.
And requires Government intervention, guy. Pick your side. You sound a little flip floppy here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts