Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this weekend started off with a whole week of preparation, getting the calls tuned. The decoys shaped. The wife asked me if I could take up the dogs and the little one and she would come up later Friday night, of course I would have moved mountains and fought king kong to get them to come up for opening weekend of Turkey so I said yes. Now let me tell you one thing, the pressure from my work to work this weekend was job threatening but I made a commitment to my family to hunt and fish. This was going to be the first weekend that got to fish and hunt with my daughters and my wife would actually be there too. Well just about a mile from home my oldest daughter calls me and says "What you doing?" of course I said heading to the lake, when are you going to be there. "UUHHH, next week...... of course not wanting to sound dissappointed I said "Cool what are you doing this weekend?... all I heard after that was .......................... To say I was heart broken hearted would be more than I could share with her.Dad can't be sad, that just messes up the whole balance. Please allow me to explain, the wife did not want to go, the little one did not want to go and the oldest did not want to go, so I just took everyone home and went up by myself. Man, that was a long night. Finally I decided to get out of my funk and make a cocktail and go watch the satellites. Well just about the time I got off the property heading to the cut-over my cocktail goes face first into the dirt. Just as well, I did'nt need it anyway, but when I got to the opening in the woods I looked up and saw the most incredible sky you could imagine. I laid back on that 4-wheeler and just enjoyed Gods majesty. A clear night can clear the head as well.

Now to tell the story, first light came and I didnt have to go to far, there were several birds close to the property that I knew about. I set up on the first after the crows started talking and within 10 mins the first Jake came in and it was his lucky day becuase I was not looking for him. Within another minute another jake rolled in and I thought heck yeah big boy has to be close behind. Nope just another jake.

Well I went to the Honey hole and made one call and got 4 answers in full force gobble. Called for the next hour and had two more come up and say hello and you guessed it JAKES!!!!!!! Well at exactly 9:00 they all shut down, no matter where I went nothing. So I went home and made a little brunch for my Mom and Step Dad. Man I love hunting food.

Head back into the woods around 12:30 and called in two hunters. Made two new friends and called it an afternoon around 3:00 PM. Cleaned the boat and the 4-wheelers until around 5:30 and went back to the back side of the property. Set up ona ridge and called a couple times, and two responses. One on the north side and one on the south side. I have had some great calling experiences but this one was by far the best.

Here we go. I turned towards the one down the valley and called again. Immediately got a response. Waited until it called three more times and called again. It was about.... my guess would be 300 yards. I made a quick yelp and shut up for about 15 or so mins. That bird was moving so fast I could not believe it, I began to think it was a hunter, then the calls got close enough for me to give it a little more direction and it was close. My blood was pumping, but that rascal would not come closer until I talked. Now as most of you hunters know that dont use mouth calls, it is hard to call and keep you gun up so I was making some sacrifices but it would not come into sight and I knew it was close. Finally I put the gun down and made one weak call and put the call up. I waited and this puppy started making more noise than any bird I have ever hear without gobbling (should have been my first clue) and popped out exactly where I thought it would. Bead on the head and would'nt you know it, no beard. Yes, I spent an hour calling in a hen.I was exciting to say the least, never has there ever been a bird that hard to call in. At least for me.

Well I guess it beats the hunters I called in. LOL. Left the woods/house this morning at 5:45 this AM and drove home. I had a great day hunting and it was time to make my crappy day go away. Suprised the wife and little one with fresh BLT's on Texas Toast for breakfast before church. That was worth the trip. Thanks for reading, my next post will have feathers. LOL

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Great post Michael! I was disappointed to find out they closed fall turkey season up there this past fall. Wish I could get up there for the spring season! I look forward to the pics of the big one!! :letsdrink

1 - 2 of 2 Posts