Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy New Year:party:

Today it begins the first day of the new year and what would it be without a fishin report. Partly cloudy. Moon nearly full, tides at a 1ft swing, winds moderate at 5-10 knots gusts blowin from the north, barometric pressure low, 54 degrees, water temp aprrox. 56 degrees, cold snap hit just days before along with plenty of rain. Hit the water with PFF members Jeffbro999 and Reel Fishing Girl 86 in high hopes to start the new year with a bang targeted species specks and reds along Escambia and 3mb. The most effective lure of the day would have to go to the Jerk bait although paddle tails, voodoo shrimp, and twisty tails did pull some weight today as well. Started the day off at 1130 to greet the incoming tide at Artchies. First stop was at Mulat, slow, bite here bite there but not the type of action nor productivity to keep the lines in the water. Moved up into higher grounds of the river, water clarity chocolate Milk as compared to Mulat being a slight Latte at best, factor was with the high amount of fresh rain water now in the river the specks were flushed out the water was dirty and the bite here was unparalleled to what it had been. But none the less this is where I caught my first fish of the new year it just so happened to be a Pickeral* my first ever at that the thing jumped 3 times b4 I got in the boat:thumbsup: caught on a 2 tone paddle tail chartreuse with a purple haze:thumbsup: on a 5/16 jighead bounced vigorously 5ft from bottom. Time to make one of those Capt decisions stay where ur at and punch it out, move further up river and look for new grounds or go back to where u just came from... tic toc ummm I decided to go back to Mulat, why because it had bait, it had clearer water, better salinity, and was closer to the boat ramp which means our lines can stay wet that much longer even though we didn't catch them there 3 hours ago I still had faith with the tide coming in and the sun going down if fish were there this would be our opportunity to catch them feeding. And guess who I see in the honey hole PFF mem. SaltyDawg hahaha he said he caught a few and I said he should stay because up north was a barren wasteland. So my crew got to work Reel Fishing Girl 86 rips a cute Red out of the barrel quickly on that 2 tone paddle tail mentioned b4, sweet... then Jeffbro999 does what he does best twitchin ripn crankin the jerk bait and bam speck in the boat and then bam he gets another then he gets nailed by a Moose of a fish but no dice so i throw a vudoo shrimp in the mix and booyah hard strike and up comes another speck, sweet.. but wait Jeffbro999 gets another strike no dice, im not one to copy cat but i will adapt and Jeffbro999 is on to something here so I switch it up I put on one of my blue back floating Jerks and its on caught 2 more specks and lost 2 more fatties after some monster head shakes. Sun now beyond the horizon and its time for a Micky Dees break refueled and then took spread on to 3mile didnt take long and Jeffbro999 hooks up to a 34" pig on his trout rod WHAT#! $* setup with a half once jighead and a 4in white paddle tail WHAT $!#/after a brutal rod bending line tearin fight WE welcome 2015's first bull red to the boat took some photos for the ages and dumped her back to depths. Literally 3min later I hook up Hahaha my turn, with my Revo Toro 60 I crank down the horse power and rip a slot well if u angle it just squeeze the tail at a.... dam this red was 1/8 over 27in almost had a top slot on a half shell instead I get a photo of the pretty gal and told her I would see her again Reel soon hahahaha yight lines Y'@ll and as always hangin with great friends doin some awesome fishing and setting the standard for 2015 got to beat this report next time we go out fellas, that goes out the the entire crew:rockon:

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Jeff, I like that Chronarch Ci4+. Have one too & I love it for throwing unweighted plastics & tiny jigs in freshwater but haven't tried throwing it in the salt yet.

Josh, sick report & nice photos! But let's get out Sunday night when I get home & make a REAL report! :)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You guys are starting the New Year off EXACTLY right. Nice report and nice pics...

L-I-O: I thought you were concentrating on 20+ lb Stripers...

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are starting the New Year off EXACTLY right. Nice report and nice pics...

L-I-O: I thought you were concentrating on 20+ lb Stripers...
I am thats why im puttin in time up river, i still havent seen them schooling but when i do, Game On

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Jeff, I like that Chronarch Ci4+. Have one too & I love it for throwing unweighted plastics & tiny jigs in freshwater but haven't tried throwing it in the salt yet.

Josh, sick report & nice photos! But let's get out Sunday night when I get home & make a REAL report! :)
Hey thanks Bud, pray to God that he can lay the wind down for us, weather man isn't talking very nicely about the upcoming frontal winds and rain:pirate::boat:

It felt great to Fight a red again after my cali vacation* there is nothing like it, its like bass fishing on steroids :robot:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nice report! That water clarity was key and with all that bait in there should have stayed longer. Oh well next time. Still had a good time out there. Hopefully the bigger fish will begin moving soon.

The bridge fishing is pretty new to me though I have done some white trout jigging out there in the past. Went to work trying to jig up some white trout during slack tide with a white 3 1/2" paddle tail on a 1/2oz ball head jig while I watched how Josh was working his. We were up next to a piling under a light and was jigging up and down under the boat when the red hit. Made several good runs but even with the Chronarch Ci4/842 combo was able to stop him each time and landed quickly. Pretty fun on light tackle. Thanks

·
Registered
1,299 Posts

That Chronarch is a great reel for throwing light lures. Throw my 1/4oz Xrap with it and it casts those better than the 51e i was using before. It has a lot more power and torque than people give it credit for. Have landed some big fish with it and felt no flex and is still as smooth as new. Carbon frame is also perfect for saltwater use as it will never corrode. If anything is lacking it is line capacity but braid helps with that.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Yep. Starting PNS side of 3MB and trolling to The GB side. Probably around 0700hrs. I've put the power handle on my 60 Series NaCl. It'll be my first trip with my new Revo Inshore Christmas present.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep. Starting PNS side of 3MB and trolling to The GB side. Probably around 0700hrs. I've put the power handle on my 60 Series NaCl. It'll be my first trip with my new Revo Inshore Christmas present.
Sweet ill send u a pm if i decide to head out around that time

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Rgr that. We're launching from the graffiti bridge. I'll be in a 18' off-white Flats boat if you see us on the water. I'll let you see how well an AG 60 Series NaCl sits on an 8' H Volatile!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts