Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally. I went out this afternoon after work. Muddy on the beach and big surf! The surfers were out hooting and hollering...its funny that all my favorite kayak launches are great breaks for surfers. No biggie I pound through the surf on a mission for a cobia! I'm hanging out just past the mud line and get one of those feelings that I need to go offshore! I go out to some spots about a mile and it is DEAD! No bites nothing...I decide to troll back in and I'm thinking of heading east until almost dark. About that time I spot a pair about a full cast length away! I cast out in front of them...jig jig....DOING!!!! I jacked him up until the cows come home thinking about the one I lost earlier this year. I fought him to the boat in like 2 minutes with lock down pier drag...I actually had to back the drag off when he was digging for fear of being flipped. He is right next to my kayak and the other fish is still with him...for a split second I considered throwing a bait to the other fish but decide not to be greedy. I stick the fish super green in the head but I didn't get it in him enough and the fish freaks out and goes on another run. The next time he came in range I stuck him right behind the peck fins! He proceeded to beat the crap out of me slapping me and shaking my whole yak and body...This was just as hairy as I imagined it would but I got through it and got him in the yak. Whew...got him! I pick up the phone and call Tim...the whole time I'm on the phone he lays there nice and calm. When I hang up he comes back to life and launches the gaff off the kayak....now I have a thrashing cobia on my yak with no way to control him other than to bear hug him...I really almost lost him. Lucky for me the gaff floats and I put him in the front hatch and head home. Of course I get worked by the surf again but hey, thats ocean kayak fishing. The tourists went nuts on the beach like always. I am going to miss Destin so much! My whole life revolves around my family and fishing. I got two more trips and I'm going to saver every second of it. Tomorrow after work and Thursday I have off so stay tuned!

Tex

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
man! what a good post...i've watched your posts and am always amazed by your catches...from the tarpon, sailfish, kings and this cobe...all from a kayak...really happy for you and even though you are leaving, it's called the world wide web for a reason...congrats man and good luck...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Really glad you yakked that school bus for a first one...

<span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl06_lblFullMessage">Wahoo, Blackfin, Yellowfin, Bonefish, Permit....I plan on catching those within the next year.
And all of the above are within easy reach of a determined yakker in S.FL.

The first 3 will fall for a +25 trolled a mile or 2 off the beach in south fl or past the reef in the keys... The YF will be the tuff one to locate and hammer on.

Brent

·
Registered
318 Posts
AWESOME Tex...

Someday, I hope to follow in your footsteps and get the sail and ling....

Thanks for sharing all the stories. I enjoy reading everyone of them.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts