Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not fry a whole lot anymore, but when the family wants it, I usually go all out. Fried 4 lbs of snapper and 3 lbs of squash this evening. Set the burner up, fry the fish first then the squash then its all mediocre warm or cold.

I am thinking a dedicated deep fryer when I finish the outdoor kitchen, I need one. Any recomendations? Ones to stay away from? Have seen these quite a bit

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a "Cajun Fryer" manufactured by R&V works out of Louisiana. It is the 4 gal version. You can order them factory direct from their website. They also sell them over at Buc-ees. I have fried anything and everything in it and it does an excellent job. The oil stays really clean and if you fry fish in it, you can immediately fry french fries or anything else for that matter and it won't taste fishy. It takes about 15 mins to get the oil up to temp. It is really easy to clean, it has a nice ball valve on the back side for draining the oil. When I ordered mine, it had some minor cosmetic damage in shipping. I didn't want to fool with sending it back but I did notify them about it. They sent me a box full of accessories and spare parts for my trouble Excellent fryer and excellent customer service.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Best accessory I have is my temp gun. Let's me make sure the temp is right and stays right. I think it was 20 bucks on amazon.

Reactions: SHunter and jaster

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the same drier but single basket. And also have. A 2 basket r.v. Works. The single basket is all you need for 8 people. Works great in my outdoor kitchen

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info, i did see those ones at Bucees thos weekend on way home. I just didnt stop to look at em, lol

Temp gun beats the heck out of a probe in the way.

Do these stay pretty consistant? Drop a batch of fish in does the temp drop much? I am guessing with a few gallons of oil in it it does not fluctuate much?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good info, i did see those ones at Bucees thos weekend on way home. I just didnt stop to look at em, lol

Temp gun beats the heck out of a probe in the way.

Do these stay pretty consistant? Drop a batch of fish in does the temp drop much? I am guessing with a few gallons of oil in it it does not fluctuate much?
The oil temp in the Cajun Fryer will stay consistent...the only thing that I've seen that affects it is frozen french fries but it recovers quickly. I doubt there is any setup that can survive frozen fries though.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
i use a dutch oven, cast iron pot. simple and it holds heat well. wash it out with the pressure washer, no soap. i stick one of those cheap long thermometers in every so often to check the heat. once it gets to temp(375) i turn down the fire down to a idle. burnt grease sucks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Used cast iron pots most of the time and even used fry daddy a time or two. Bought two of those concession stand/commercial type fryers off Amazon a few years back. Elements stay off bottom. They remove from pan easy for cleaning. Cover pan with foil and set in spare fridge. They get to temp quick and recover quick. I can set them up on outdoor kitchen counter or use inside( don't care to fry inside but have done funnel cakes for grand kids). No more bottles burners or hoses for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,898 Posts
I have the 6 gallon R&V Works one. If'n you gonna fry stuff, I'd recommend it. I clean it periodically with a pressure washer, including the baskets. Generally change the oil once a year. I drain it and screen it a few times a year.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
i use a dutch oven, cast iron pot. simple and it holds heat well. wash it out with the pressure washer, no soap. i stick one of those cheap long thermometers in every so often to check the heat. once it gets to temp(375) i turn down the fire down to a idle. burnt grease sucks.
I still use a cast iron dutch oven over a gas propane burner outside. Just visited Lodge in South Pittsburg and bought a few more skillets. I guess what is best is what you are used to cooking with. I cook fish, then hushpuppies and sometimes fry chicken.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well finally got one a month or so ago and put it together Fathers day. Wife picked it up for me at Academy I think. Its not a cajun fryer, but I think its pretty well built. Fried fish and chicken so far. Temp holds amazing, wish I had bought one years ago.

Was skeptical, frying fish and then chicken in the same grease, but all I read said with a fryer such as these taste was not effected much by what was cooked until the grease goes bad. My chicken wasn't fishy last night, but rather dang good, lol

Only complaint is the handls, it feels like it will break iff if try to pick it up to move the fryer. Think I am going to build one that bokts to the fram so I can move it arouk on the deck easie, until I mle he final resting place.

Thankyou all again for the suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Following... I try to avoid fried foods but yesterday I fried up some snapper on the grill in cast iron pan For fish tacos. The First few fillets turned out great then battled the temp. It may be time to invest in one. Btw the tacos were great!

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
I have tried them all. KISS is the best, outside and with a cheap clip on thermometer. Any pot that fits the size needed. I can use the burner in my food cart smoker also. Propane bottle under the burner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts