Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty- here goes another 3 days' worth of story (and my first report on the new PFF!)..... this is from Sept 28-30, and the adventures of Team Bad Fish and the Pirates on the Gulf tournament. It was sporty weather, but great camaraderie and not bad fishing either!

I'm getting the hang of posting pix in the new format, too, so please bear with me..... I haven't figured out yet how to incorporate them into the report itself, and I just checked and they're all out of order.... :banghead Sorry!!!!!:doh

Friday night was the captain's meeting, and I had the chance to meet some new PFF friends in person and hang out with some of the folks who have been so dear to me since I joined the forum. After the captain's meeting, we convened to the Ultralite dock where I set out traps to catch bait for the team. Fish were popping all around, and I could stand it no longer... Ultralite and I put some live shrimp and finger mullet in a bucket, got out the tiny tackle, and had some fun! dale got some much-needed rest, and Mike found the couch for a while...... however, that left fish for Ultralite and I. The trout were stacked like cordwood..... some real hosses, too. They were tough to hook, though it's exciting to see open orange mouths in pursuit of your lure....... we did land a couple that night. There were someimpressive bluefishhanging under the dock, and I landed one that probably made 3-4 pounds (note to self- ask Santa for a Boga this year!)

The tide started to slow, and we dug into the finger mullet......Ultralite Mike told me exactly how he'd tangled with a redfish just a night or two before. I dearly love catching redfish, especially on this ultralight gear, and I put a finger mulletjust where Mike had told me... not 10 seconds later... ZZZZZ!!!!! Off goes this fish towards the Baars bridge, then towards Galvez, then across the Intracoastal, digging down, head shaking, and after wrangling his head around and aiming him towards the dock, a 26" redfish has a net around him and then the dock underneath him! Waaa- hoo!

Next step- put the "joojoo" back on my ultralight setup..... the "famous" setup that went over the dock and was presumed lost for about a week until a super, albeit very surprised,young lady hooked it and some super folks cleaned the marine life off it....... (but that's a whole other story!) Ultralite Mike had the little Shimano respooled with 6#, and down went another finger mullet on this setup. I had to catch one for him, after all! As the weight bounced along the bottom with the current, I felt the telltale furtive nudge on the bait..... gave the fish some time to eat, and ZZZZZ! Once again drag singing, and fish heading for the bridge, then the channel marker, then Galvez, and I think this one's a bit heftier! Lo and behold, as he came to the surface, I could see he was a bit thicker- a nice redfish again gets some dock under him- this one is just at the max of the slot- a perfect 27" pinched-tail redfish! The 6# got a workout on that one. :)

With our limit on ice, I retired to bed and left the boys to fish into the night... I needed to rest as tomorrow was my day to play "deckhand" for the team. We awoke to a gorgeous Perdido sunrise- the Intracoastal calm and slick..... and then we hit the Pass. We took it easy on the ride out- the waves were full and round with some whitecaps, but far enough apart to make the ride more of a rocking chair than a blender ride. The [email protected] takes seas like a pro! We fished a couple of spots, and the bite wasn't spectacular, but it was steady. Dale and Ultralite Mike both hooked into some sporty amberjack that were just a few inches short of the fishbox, and the red snapper bit fairly steadily.... at the first spot no throwbacks for a while, but when they did start to bite we packed up and moved to another spot.

Same story at the second spot- a steady but not intense bite, and we added a few more red snapper to the box. A welcome surprise came as baits were about halfway to the bottom- a school of Spanish mackerel were prowling the area and both Mikes put some deck under a pair of decent sized fish.

On the way back in, we found terns in a bait-feeding frenzy, and underneath were telltale splashes and swirls as a huge school of Spanish mowed their way through bait from underneath. What a sight! We trolled some rigs through the melee, but no hits. I guess our lures didn't look as good as the actual baitfish... :(

Back at the weighin, I got to see some neat stuff come in.... Tony Blanton with a beautiful specimen of a flounder.... Duckhuntinsailor with a nice showing on the board...... and our Trash-talkin' Bonita Dan gets a new nickname... perhaps we should call himMackerel Dan????:poke A very nice young man weighed in a beautiful fish- a speckled hind that took first place Grouper, and is a pending AL state record! His group also weighed in one of the biggest scamp I have ever seen- just over 16 pounds! Impressive!!

Sunday I went out with the team to fish the Bay- we could see waves curling around the end of Ft Pickens.... being the surfer that he is, Ultralite was practically salivating... LOL.... We fished for a while at our favorite haunts, but didn't pick up much. Dale got a pretty flounder and a nice sized grey snapper, but the east wind and current made it tough to hang onto a spot. Wierd catch of the day- I played Sabiki Hunter again... and nabbed another cowfish!

Some Forum members ended up on the final board..... Dan with a 3rd place Spanish mackerel, Tony Blanton with first place for flounder, Mike Potter with 2nd place redfish.... and I know I am forgetting some folks so PLEASE chime in and remind me!!!!! There were some neat prizes given away- for the Offshore Bonus, a beautiful watercolor of a marlin, and the inshore bonus was a gyotaku print of a redfish by yours truly..... many other cool prizes given away and raffled off at the awards ceremony, and I have to give a :clap to Drew for a job well done for the entire tournament!

Thank you, too, to Team Bad Fish for a fun weekend and for letting me catch your bait..... LOL..... and to the Ultralites MikeNDale for letting me come hang out for an ENTIRE weekend.... y'all are the greatest!:grouphug

Attachments

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
thanks for the report karon. we had a great time with the tournament and thanks to all who helped organize it...(especially drew and the whole committee)...

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Not a bad first report,for a Pinfish:letsdrink No chance on that Mackeral name change though:nonono Oh yea,nice to see ya again.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Great report Karon. And I love your artwork!:heart; and I want to come fish that dock sometime Mike, hint, hint.:poke

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Nice report Karon. Your art work is beautiful as usual !!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Giving it a shot at adding photos so y'all won't have to click on those huge things (thanks for the link on how to do it!!!!!:bowdown)

Bonita Dan hangs with the Wenches:

Redfish Numero Uno!

Redfish Numero Dos:

A beauty of a Perdido sunrise:

Dale bowed up!

Dale's amberjack:

The Ultralite amberjack:

Dale brings in another snapper:

A good lookin' Wench with a good lookin' fish!

Mike bows up:

...And brings in another fish:

I couldn't stand it.... even Bait Wenches have to drop a line too....LOL......

The huge school of Spanish mackerel we found:

Part of the Team takes a no-wake zone nap:

MikeNDale!

Mike Potter poses with our catch:

The Dock Shot:

Dale dockside with the catch:

At the weighin, here is Duckhuntinsailor (I need your email address again please!!)

Bonita (Mackerel!!!:poke) Dan with his placing Spanish:

The amazing Speckled Hind that won the grouper division, and the huge Scamp hanging on the scale that took second:

Tony with just a heckuva nice first place flounder!

Team Bad Fish's Mike Potter accepting his redfish prize:

Team Reel Naughty's Mack... um, Bonita Dan accepting his award for his Spanish:

The Inshore Slam prize:

Here's a closeup of the Inshore Slam prize:

Heyyyyy, I like the new format for posting pictures!! Great job, Chris!:clap

To answer frenchdaddy's question- I've been creating this kind of art since the summer of 2000, and it took me a year to be pretty happy with what I was turning out, and I finally entered and won an art show in 2005. The papers I use are handmade mulberry, banana, sugarcane, and lokta papers.... I have used the rice paper before and I like the textures of the other papers better, especially the lokta and sugarcane papers.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Ocean Man (10/12/2007)Great post Karon, I love the pic's of the Redfish glowing in the dark.:takephoto
don't know exactly how that happens except it is probably the 3 street lamps on the dock. dale has a fine camera as does karon with the flash and trying to keep the lights behind the person taking the shot...you still get that glow. still cool shots...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts