Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We mainly fish inshore tournaments but eventually we wanna fish the SKA. Having said that, we need practice and a lot of knowledge. We have been fishing recreationally for kings for a few years but want to absorb some knowledge from someone that knows a lot about the sport of kingfishing. We are thirsty to learn and what we really want to do is have someone teach us. We have a small offshore boat that we can use or if someone would be kind enough to take us on theirs. Honestly we will pay someone , buy beer , clean your boat every weeks, fill your boat one time , or all the abkve!! We do not want your spots at all we just want to kno tips tricks and tactics and how to locate the fish. If anyone knows of anyone that is interested, preferably someone that has tournament experience but not limited to the weekend warrior please message me or call me 8505728273

.... Any beer you want!!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly right now we arnt fishing ska tounrees , but we are going to start fishing more offshore tournaments, once we all get out of school we will get one of them nicer boats, but for now we just want to learn and practice and get good. The perks of the bigger boats obviously is speed, range , fish ability among other perks, but in a 20-22ft boat we should be able to learn a good bit... For now and get better.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I've caught plenty of Kings in a 17ft Bay boat on a $60 rod and reel. I always laugh at the SKA guys with all of their "gear" haha

That video was F'ing EXCELLENT!!! I blew milk and chocolate chip cookies out of my nose!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if yall know anyone that would like to help some college kids out let me know!! Like I said we arnt fishing ska now just want to learn before we dive in

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's better to be lucky than to be good...

But the best way is to befriend a few commercial kingfishermen so you get an idea where the fish are..

Without this you will be running blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
fished the SKA for a lot of yrs and was sponsored and fished the national finals in '07 and '08 prior to a bad accident that kept me off the water completely for several years, not necessarily looking to fish but would be glad to give you some pointers and get you started in my spare time. shoot me a pm and we can go from there if your interested

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I've caught plenty of Kings in a 17ft Bay boat on a $60 rod and reel. I always laugh at the SKA guys with all of their "gear" haha

That video was F'ing EXCELLENT!!! I blew milk and chocolate chip cookies out of my nose!
Catching kings is one thing. Consistently competing in king tournaments and doing well is another. You're not going to win a big $$ king tournament in a 17ft bay boat usually.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Run west way west fish the rigs slow trolling large hard tails and ribbon fish on down riggers in my opinion having good baits is one of the most important things

This... Gotta have good baits... Also gotta find the smokers in that green water...

Reactions: badonskybuccaneers

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Catching kings is one thing. Consistently competing in king tournaments and doing well is another. You're not going to win a big $$ king tournament in a 17ft bay boat usually.
Your not likely to win big $$ king tournament fishing in any boat. The likelihood of winning is small. And the Kings dont care what boat you are in and you dont need to run 80mph and run 150 miles to get them. The winnings dont come anywhere near the price of the boat.

We would have won The Mexico Beach tournament 2 of 3 years and placed on the other, if we had entered. But we do not want the stress and hububb of the tournament crowd. All in a 17ft boat that was run 20-25 mph and run 6-8 miles offshore. :whistling:

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/sports/bryan-wins-bastille-day-kingfish-tournament-1.1718842

·
Super Moderator
20,021 Posts
No offense but those little mom and pop tournaments don't have anything on SKA. You are comparing apples and oranges. Saying that I find king tournaments pretty ridiculous in the first place but you will never compete at the top unless you have the big go fast boats. 25lb kings won't do you much good in those big style tournaments.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I remember several years ago when Outcast was putting on a king tournament that Dreamweaver in a 21 Cape I think won the tournament just fishing 20 or 30 miles offshore here. And I believe at that time it was an SKA tournament with lots of the big boys fishing it. Maybe Dreamweaver will read this and tell the story.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I had something to take care of and had to cut my message short. The artical that I liked to was not me. It was just an example of someone winning in a 17ft boat. The kings that I was referring to that we caught thAt would have won were all in the upper 40's and up to 58lbs.

i was not trying to be argumentative or boast of my knowledge or skills. Hell, everyone tells us that we do it wrong. haha. The point was that all of the big $$$ boats and gear will get you nowhere. I bought a 21ft boat, high dollar fishfinder/plotter and nice shiney new trolling set-ups this year. What did it get us? Nothing. We caught ZERO kings this year. NONE! This was all in reference to the OP saying that they were fishing out of basic equipment. Do not feel obligated to upgrade just for the sake of Bling as so many SKA members do.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I had something to take care of and had to cut my message short. The artical that I liked to was not me. It was just an example of someone winning in a 17ft boat. The kings that I was referring to that we caught thAt would have won were all in the upper 40's and up to 58lbs.

i was not trying to be argumentative or boast of my knowledge or skills. Hell, everyone tells us that we do it wrong. haha. The point was that all of the big $$$ boats and gear will get you nowhere. I bought a 21ft boat, high dollar fishfinder/plotter and nice shiney new trolling set-ups this year. What did it get us? Nothing. We caught ZERO kings this year. NONE! This was all in reference to the OP saying that they were fishing out of basic equipment. Do not feel obligated to upgrade just for the sake of Bling as so many SKA members do.
Also remember a lot of the big time SKA guys are sponsored or have an owner with $$$ and those are crews running them... I have several friends that fish the billfish tourney's for owners with big sportfishers...

the wharf tourney was won this year by a 37 freeman that was the smallest boat in the tournament...

It's like they say.. you never know until you go.. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts