Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bass I am holding in the picture was caught by my Grandfather on my birthday in 1957. He took it to Mobile, ALto have it mounted by Edmond Moore Taxidermy because they had the reputation for doing some of the best mounts in the South. The bass has not lost its shape or color and looks exactly like it did over 50 years ago. I can remember my Grandfather bragging about how much better it was than other bass mounts he had seen. Compare it with the bass done by Kevin GloverTaxidermy in Milton, Fl. I was hoping some more forum members might have some old mounts they would like to show on the forum.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
The old one looks like that whole dried whitefish you can get at Joe Patti's.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You have to realize that the methods used for taxidermy then and now are different.

I dabbled in it for awhile(Elwood School of Taxidermy) and the old method with using the fish's skin which you never completely got all of the oils out and required poisoning of the skin made the mount perishable.

The process left the skin bleached out and required painting. Modern day paints are better. This one looks remarkably good considering its age. I don't know of anyone who does the old way any more.

The modern method doesn't even require a fish. Just take measurements and send them with a picture(optional)to the taxidermist, He/she will take a ready made form with the same measurements and paint it with modern paints.

A lot more efficient(and safer) method because it doesn't require the use of poisons(arsenic).

It produces a life-like mount that will last forever. C2

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
HaterAide (10/11/2009)
reelthrill (10/11/2009) The bass has not lost its shape or color and looks exactly like it did over 50 years ago.
I'm confused. That bass you are holding was painted that color 50 years ago?
Yes, the bass he is holding waspainted 50years ago. That is how they did mounts then...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not trying to take anthing away with the one in your hands, but damn how about the ones behind you. What did the biggest weigh? I am not a freshwater fisherman whatsoever but think the mounts behind you are pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Those mounts from 50 years ago were painted over the real fish skin.

You could work your butt off ,but could nrver get all of the natural fish oils out. They would often bleed through the paint creating some interesting effects.

Some; as one poster suggests, look just like the dried fish at Joe Patti's. Almost the same thing; dried fish skin.

I had a Pompano that turned out like that. I was young and dumb; besides the Pompano is a rather oily fish.

Nowadays'; just get a form and spray paint it. C2

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,971 Posts
Death From Above (10/11/2009)Here's avelvet buckI did myself. I'm really proud of the job I did on the eyes. He looks just like he did when I bagged him.

Those Whitetail Razorback Hyenas are rare!

goodness gracious, i hope he didn't pass those genes along......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Charlie2 (10/11/2009)Those mounts from 50 years ago were painted over the real fish skin.

You could work your butt off ,but could nrver get all of the natural fish oils out. They would often bleed through the paint creating some interesting effects.

Some; as one poster suggests, look just like the dried fish at Joe Patti's. Almost the same thing; dried fish skin.

I had a Pompano that turned out like that. I was young and dumb; besides the Pompano is a rather oily fish.

Nowadays'; just get a form and spray paint it. C2[/quote

Im pretty sure all the fish in the background are skin mounts not fiberglass reproductions.

Thats a cool mount Mike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts