Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the area and pretty much trying to catch every kind of fish that swims near pensacola haha! Anyways I don't know a damn thing about tarpon but I have the time, energy, and enthusiasm needed to try to catch one. Can anyone give me some tips on rigs to use, areas I should fish, bait, etc...or any information at all that may help. I'm a quick learner and if anyone wants to join me on the water and show me the ropes that'd be great. Also I'm looking for a rod and reel to use for tarpon. Any suggestions? I don't want something too heavy, I prefer lighter tackle

·
Registered
417 Posts
this time of the year they usually come through with 20+ in a school but ive seen schools of 100+ and i spot them all through the day...

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know almost all the ones ive found have been on the beach running the bar or just outside the pass. Back bay tarpon fishing isn't something I'm familiar with in this area. Prrtty sure not too common of a catch in the bays from pcola to pc.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I know almost all the ones ive found have been on the beach running the bar or just outside the pass. Back bay tarpon fishing isn't something I'm familiar with in this area. Prrtty sure not too common of a catch in the bays from pcola to pc.
Several years back before Ivan huffed and puffed our fishing bridge down, I had one summer I probally hooked 30 of em and never got one to the bridge... they are tough for sure.. always had them hit the trolley rig which is mainly out of the water just the bait hangin, would have the same bait on the other side on a ballon, every tarpon was on trolley rig, I think if more people fished kite rigs in the bay there would be more caught, for they are very leader shy even in the bay.. seems like they feed allot at night to I would always hear bout someone hooking something that was jumping all over before they got broke off.. peps on the bridge would trip out seeing a 120+ tarpon jumping while they were fishing for croakers and white trout... It was usually mid july when they got up in the bay.. but with everything being early this year Iwould not be surprised. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts