Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a debate with an ecologist today who insists it's TarkILN Bayou and I say it's TarkLIN.

State park says ILN as do many other sources but all the fishing maps (and most every other map I found) says LIN.

Which is it and where did the name come from? Capt. Wes, you should know this one.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Tarkiln

Derived from old "tar kettle", which you will see its' shape on old charts, maps and modern pix...when rotated app 90 degrees clockwise..

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Pretty certain it's TarKILN Bayou ... I did the Archaeological Survey out there years ago , and that name was permanently emblazoned into my brain :banghead

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the state park says Tarkiln but most maps even refer to the park as Tarklin.

More important than the poll questions is What is the reason for the disrepency? Where did it come from?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I think someone just made an error in the spelling ?? ... I've ALWAYS known it as TarKILN Bayou , and I grew up ON Innerarity Island , and went there numerous times in the Scouts Organization (Webelows and Boy Scouts) ... during the Arch survey we didn't find anything significant , but we launched the "T-Rex" (Crew deck boat) from Bronson Field and on a day off we found the Mother Lode of Lithics off Bronson !! ... STILL talk about that to this day with my former co-workers :letsdrink

·
Registered
935 Posts
See second post ...Conjunction of tar kettle ing..Tarkiln

In old days, many people down here and from that area talked funny... You still hear backwoods folk perverting words to fit their understanding... You gotta learn how to talk "Southern"...

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm looking at a nautical chart hanging on my wall and it says Tarkiln Bayou and Tarkiln Bay. I have and will continue to refer to it as Tarklin.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I have a 1954 Escambia road map from 1940 and revised and published in 1954.

It calls out Tarklin Bay and Tarklin Point but not the bayou.

Is it likely that there was a tar making operation in that area?

As in a Tar kiln as described here: http://www.state.sc.us/forest/scindust.htm

A method of cooking the resin out of pinewood to derive tar.

Pensacola Naval Air Station was a huge naval stores operation at one point in time.

·
Registered
935 Posts
OK guys, one more time... Google Earth the place.. Rote 90degrees clockwise.. It will look just like an old "tar kettling" pot putting off the smoke that had to come from such an activity... It May never have happened there, but that is how it was named... "Trust me, I'm a doctor"...Just kidding... But that is the deal.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
<P align=center>Tarkiln Field / Bronson Field Naval Auxiliary Air Station,<P align=center>Myrtle Grove, FL<P align=center>30.39 North / 87.41 West (Northwest of Pensacola NAS, FL)<P align=center>
<P align=center>What was originally known as "Tarkiln Field",<P align=center>as depicted on a 1939 map of NAS Pensacola & its satellite fields (courtesy of Brian Rehwinkel).<P align=center><P align=center>The Navy purchased 640 acres in 1939<P align=center>to establish an outlying field for the use of trainer aircraft from Corry Field.<P align=center>It was initially known as Tarkiln Field, due to its proximity to Tarkiln Bay.<P align=center><P align=center>The earliest depiction which has been located of Tarkiln Field<P align=center>was on a 1939 map of NAS Pensacola & its satellite fields (courtesy of Brian Rehwinkel).<P align=center>It depicted Tarkiln Field as a rectangular area.<P align=center>

<P align=center>Additional construction began on the airfield in 1942,<P align=center>and the Navy purchased an additional 263 adjoining acres on the shore of Perdido Bay to establish a seaplane facility.<P align=center>The 2 installations were commissioned in late 1942 as NAAS Bronson Field.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Worn Out (11/17/2009)OK guys, one more time... Google Earth the place.. Rote 90degrees clockwise.. It will look just like an old "tar kettling" pot putting off the smoke that had to come from such an activity... It May never have happened there, but that is how it was named... "Trust me, I'm a doctor"...Just kidding... But that is the deal.
Okay so sometime prior to 1939 someone went up in the air to see what theshape of the bayou was in order to say it looks like a tar kettle?

·
Registered
935 Posts
johnsonbeachbum (11/17/2009)
Worn Out (11/17/2009)OK guys, one more time... Google Earth the place.. Rote 90degrees clockwise.. It will look just like an old "tar kettling" pot putting off the smoke that had to come from such an activity... It May never have happened there, but that is how it was named... "Trust me, I'm a doctor"...Just kidding... But that is the deal.
Okay so sometime prior to 1939 someone went up in the air to see what theshape of the bayou was in order to say it looks like a tar kettle?
They had charts ... You can see it better now on google earth. But ,the planes flew around here after 1916....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My late Dad-in-Law, Christian Pate, was born and raised here and he told me that it was named Tar Kiln Bay(and Bayou) because there was once, as one poster reports, a tar kiln there.

There was one in the woods over in Foley, where I grew up which consisted of a hole in the ground where they piled fat pine(lightwood)stumps, covered them with dirt, then torched them. The tar cooked out of the wood and ran out the bottom where they collected it in wooden barrels. C2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts