Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbdown:My sister and brother-n law came in from huntsville all last week stayed at nas campground didn't see tar balls until yesterday..... they clean it and it still comes back anyone have a real link thats up to date thats not politicaly driven that tells the truth about where the oil went that they said does'nt exist......:no::no:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Oil is gone. But the Tar-balls still remain On the Bottom of the Gulf from one coast to the other there will be tar-balls washing up for 20 years or more it is a sad fact of life.
Kinda like politics every time the wind changes there will be a new wave of [email protected]#t wash in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tar balls in the mid 1970's

I recall walking the Pensacola beaches in the 1970's and 90% of the time returning to my Pensacola residence with very black feet. One could feel the gooey tar balls under the sand. It was easy to reach into the sand and pull up what looked like a black cow patty. The patties were uniform in size, about eight inches in diameter and a little over an inch thick. That stuff was a mess! I though that maybe it was from ships pumping out ballast and that the ballast water had #9 bunker oil in it??That may have been a wild conclusion. Or was this stuff from the Mexican fiasco that was twin to the BP disaster?? Or was it from a natural, underwater source of crude oil?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I though that maybe it was from ships pumping out ballast and that the ballast water had #9 bunker oil in it??That may have been a wild conclusion. Or was this stuff from the Mexican fiasco that was twin to the BP disaster?? Or was it from a natural, underwater source of crude oil?

Possibly; All the Above :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Capt.Eugene said:
I though that maybe it was from ships pumping out ballast and that the ballast water had #9 bunker oil in it??That may have been a wild conclusion. Or was this stuff from the Mexican fiasco that was twin to the BP disaster?? Or was it from a natural, underwater source of crude oil?

Possibly; All the Above :thumbsup:
Most likely all of the above!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perdido Key ....Now BP thinks they can make a diference by taking a trackhoe with a 2'x2' bucket to remove oil from the gulf .....oil will be washing on shore for a long time.... how can this be good for our fishing... or health???

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I was just thinking, I hope the next time someone pumps their bilges, their as concerned about the environment as they are busting on BP...

Still thinking... either there is one hell of a catch and release program going or people don't seemed to be to worried about the condition of the water or fish, judging from the amount of boats out fishing.....

going on a cruise, back in a week!! stay safe..I'm not drinking the water where I'm going!! lol
Rock on

BillD

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Tar balls are still oil, just clumped. Regulations have stopped bilge and ballast washing near shore which helped with the 70s tar balls that we used to step in. During this time Pensacola beaches after storms would also have ridiculous amounts of garbage wash up to high tide level. There was anything from coke bottles to women's products along with those tar balls. We figured a ship was dumping its garbage near shore. Mid seventies I was snorkeling off a park in Key West and came out of the water with grease/oil on my feet and legs. Since then I have not noticed it there. It will take years for the microbes to do their job but the oil is not gone just in different form.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Tar balls are still oil, just clumped. Regulations have stopped bilge and ballast washing near shore which helped with the 70s tar balls that we used to step in. During this time Pensacola beaches after storms would also have ridiculous amounts of garbage wash up to high tide level. There was anything from coke bottles to women's products along with those tar balls. We figured a ship was dumping its garbage near shore. Mid seventies I was snorkeling off a park in Key West and came out of the water with grease/oil on my feet and legs. Since then I have not noticed it there. It will take years for the microbes to do their job but the oil is not gone just in different form.
I am no Genius Nor Am i a scientist, Crude Oil is oil lighter than water.
Go to a refinery And start at the light stuff like benzene,toluene and the like then Gas for your car Diesel for my boat, then other stuff then OIL,Vaseline,and other stuff, Then you get TAR add sand you get tar balls.
They are heavier than Water. But they are all from Crude Oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts