Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Looks interesting. Labor intensive meals are the best...

Reactions: naclh2oDave

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Only took me 8 hours!

This is a half a batch done with the other half still steaming. It's a staple at the hood Christmas party. Total will give me lots of meals throughout the year.

Be nice , do the right thing, be good to people , have a good time.[/QUOTE

Share the recipe! Or give a summary recipe! Fat boy loves tamales! And those look great

·
SaltWaterDave
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only took me 8 hours!

This is a half a batch done with the other half still steaming. It's a staple at the hood Christmas party. Total will give me lots of meals throughout the year.

Be nice , do the right thing, be good to people , have a good time.[/QUOTE

Share the recipe! Or give a summary recipe! Fat boy loves tamales!
There are some recipes online but this is from my grandmother's Aunt.

Long story short is you need like 6# meat. For this one I used a pork shoulder and a broiler chicken. Boiled each for 2 hours Then shredded and grinded (ground?) Then seasoned, lots of cumin and garlic powder.

The masa is a corn flour base with chili powder, Paprika, salt, garlic powder and cumin. Add corn oil, a couple of quarts of stock from the boiling of the meat. Mix in stand mixer till it's like peanut butter.

Soak corn husks in Water for a couple of hours then spread Masa and load meat in and roll up. Steam for 2 hours and serve smothered in your favorite salsa.

I usually freeze packs by the dozen and pull a pack or 2 out for a quick meal.

When I did time in Texas little old Mexican ladies used to go door to door selling tamales $12 a dozen. As long as it takes to make these ... I'd charge $2 each and feel good about it.

Be nice , do the right thing, be good to people , have a good time.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Love Me Some Tamale's

Looks great, my wife just made a ton of them yesterday. She also has an annual tamale night where a bunch of women get together and make them. Pretty interesting to watch but not for long because they are having a few drinks and it not safe for men after that:no::no::no:.
A family tradition in Oklahoma; where my wife is from.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, I wish this was a party get together type of thing! I probably had a total of 12+ hours invested total.

Be nice , do the right thing, be good to people , have a good time.

·
Constitution Conservative
2,580 Posts
Somebody resuscitate me, cause i just died... Death by drowning in drool.
Those look great!
I'll take six dozen, please and thank you.

I miss the ladies going door to door selling hogshead tamales back in SoCal.

Reactions: naclh2oDave
1 - 12 of 12 Posts