Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my wife wanting to not put a lot of money into the boat, I'm having to not get my old hard top replace for a nice new one. What I'm doin is re working the frame of it and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the top since I can't spend a lot of money. I found some of that marine poly stuff by taco, think its like 1/2 inch.

Question: Would it look really stupid to put that on for me hard top ?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I've been talkin to him about it, was going to get a new hard top built by him, but my wife doesn't think so. Found that poly crap on boatersworld, big sheet is $300 something.

·
Registered
812 Posts
creative acrylics in pensacols has starboard. they were a forum member on the old forum. don't know about now, but they are in the phone book.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Do not use the taco marine board, it is NOT uv stable. The taco product will fade, chalk and become brittle almost immediately.

I can sell you a sheet of 1/2" starboard 4'6" x 8' for $350, I can also do a 1/4" thick sheet of the same size for $250. Black or white.

·
Registered
869 Posts
What about a sheet of aluminum to redo the hardtop? you could use something thin like 22 gauge and get ribs beadrolled into it to make it strong, weld brackets to mount it to what is existing.maybe trimtheedges with 3/4" square tubing?A little creativity and fabwork can go a loong way!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BIGRIGZ (1/9/2008)What about a sheet of aluminum to redo the hardtop? you could use something thin like 22 gauge and get ribs beadrolled into it to make it strong, weld brackets to mount it to what is existing.maybe trimtheedges with 3/4" square tubing?A little creativity and fabwork can go a loong way!
Man thats not a bad idear atoll. Whatcha rectum a good sized sheet would cost.

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
Aluminum will be very costly, and Starboard is not the right product for the top. I can have a fiberglass hardtop made to fit for you. Give me a call if you are interested

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Not to take away from anyone's sales or business, but do you have to have a hard top? You can take the measurements and have an upholstery shop cut,sew and put in eyes for a couple hundred bucks or less. You can lace it on yourself with no problem. That's how I did mine. Put it on with a few cable ties to center it and get it tight and then lace it up. When your finished cut the ties off.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
David Ridenour (1/9/2008)Not to take away from anyone's sales or business, but do you have to have a hard top? You can take the measurements and have an upholstery shop cut,sew and put in eyes for a couple hundred bucks or less. You can lace it on yourself with no problem. That's how I did mine. Put it on with a few cable ties to center it and get it tight and then lace it up. When your finished cut the ties off.
I thought about doin that, but I think I'd rather have the hard top, a bit more duable and all. And men usually prefer hard over soft, haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts