Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Here's a topic for the Inshore Forum in general. I'm planning another trip to the Pensacola area around the first week of June next year and want to stock up on tackle box essentials to fish for specks, redfish, and possibly flounder.We're planning on fishing from shore in Santa Rosa Sound on the north side of island east of Portofino and also possibly by accessing the sound from Gulf Islands National Seashore on the Gulf Breeze side. We?ll be using 6.5 to 7.5 ft. long spinning rods with 8 ? 10 lb test mono. while fishing.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Now, what are some tackle box essentials that we can bring down with us to try to target specks, redfish, and possibly flounder? I know from reading the posts in the forum that Berkley Gulp Shrimp are good, but what else can we use?<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thanks!:usaflag

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
good top water walk the dog lures ie mirrolure top pup,zara II if you can find one with a rattle.doa shrimp, johnson sprite 1/2 oz gold for reds and silver for trout and flounder. mirrolures 7m and 52m.

·
Registered
913 Posts
A bait net to catch live bait. I have been catching alot of reds on soft plastic jerk baits the Bass Assasinsrootbeer with chartruese tails. Like someone said earlier get a couple Cajun thunder popping corks to use with live bait.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about other soft jerk baits such as the Zoom Super Fluke? We've had a lot of success with these in freshwater.

Thanks!:usaflag

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
15 and 20 pound flourocarbon leader, small swivels, 1/0 and 2/0 thin wire circle hooks...

gulp baits, with 1/4 ounce jig heads

medium size suspending mirrolures, twitch action. assorted colors

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
Gator 75: With the ease of tying direct knot to knot why use a swivel anymore.

·
Banned
910 Posts
WOW this is great info!! Thanks xlr8 for starting this thread and thanks to everybody else for the info.

After being away from fishing for a dozen years :reallycryingI am soking this up like a sponge!

:bowdown:clap

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
wharf rat: unless you are using a good ball bearing swivel you aren't eliminating much line twist. The cheapos don't do anything except give you a way to attach a leader.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris Phillips (10/24/2007)Rapala Skitterwalk Top Water!

Chris, How about a slash bait such as the Rapala X-Rap? If so, what size X-Rap do most folks have the best luck with?

Thanks! :usaflag

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Capt. John Rivers (10/24/2007)Take a look at the Exude line of saltwaterproducts. They work great and thereare avariety of colors to choose from. I use these softbody luresa lot when fishing for Trout and Redsand I only use a few of the colors. Sorry the colors area secret:poke.Just kidding. I like theGolden Bream and chartreuse silverflake just to name a couple.

John, great info as well. Are most folks using these with 1/8 and 1/4 oz. lead head jigs by bumping them on the bottom? Also, what is the best way to retrieve either the DOA or Berkley Gulp Shrimp-type baits, by bumping or crawling them along the bottom, or some other retrieve?

Sorry for all the questions, but this really IS Great Info! I must also point out that while I've been fishing freshwater for well over 30 years, I've only been salt water fishing 3X in my life and I'm definitely "hooked".

Thanks in advance! :usaflag

·
Registered
782 Posts
been doing good on the sound with big fat live shrimp under a cajun thunder. been doing reel good with a 3" nuclear chicken on red 1/4 oz. jig head, slow bumpin' or dead stickn' as they say.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
lobsterman (10/24/2007)Gator 75: With the ease of tying direct knot to knot why use a swivel anymore.
Once I switched to power pro - I switched to using a swivel. line to line is great for mono because you avoid the "spookiness" ofa swivel. Whats the point with power pro? Plus - its a pain in the butt to tie with wet hands. just my .02

I fished line to line for years for inshore fish and have caught just as many if not more using power pro with aswivel. And yes, even the cheapest swivel will cut down on line twist some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have heardfolks were catchin flounder on gulps. Anyone share what color,size, witch design and how to fish them?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wharf Rat (10/24/2007)
lobsterman (10/24/2007)Gator 75: With the ease of tying direct knot to knot why use a swivel anymore.
avoid line twist from the lure spinning?
I agree w/ you wharf rat aboutflouro and a swivel. Maybe it's a combination of my pisspoor technique and amatuer-like casting ability, but it never fails that I end up w/ a birds nest if I don't use a swivel. Probablywould help if Ichange my line too.:banghead

1 - 20 of 43 Posts