Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I met with Procat in respect to building tops for them. At the time they were upset with Topgun and were having warrantee issues. The company is owned by one man and I do have the regular company contact number at the office. I would call him and get him involved with the issue. Tim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Prokat in Lincoln Alabama and met with there warranty manager about the T Top and some gel coat chips.I was told to contact Top Guns about the cracks,which I did and I was told that he would repair the top for $$$$ and charge me milage $$$$from Lincoln to Double Springs and back. About a 4 hour round trip. The top is only 1 1/2 years old and has no extra weight on it such as a T Bag, rader dome,etc. The boat was in Lincoln already getting the gel coat chips repaired,And I was told that he was set up to do on site repairs,but he would not do that. He stated that it could have been a installation problem,throwing the blame on Prokat,which is wrong.

As for Prokat ,the warranty guy give me Mike Robinson Jr business card,I took the boat to him for the gel coat chips and they done a excellent job and was covered by the warranty.And in the past have had very good dealings with them. The boat looks brand new again like except for the Top. Top Gun :nonono

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
Looks like a design flaw to me, Of course the metal guys will say he builds what Prokat tells him to!!Your dealer should make it right, sounds like you've already gone above their heads though. Pro Kat needs to make this right, or let them know how much leverage this forum and others like it(THT) have in the real world!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rone, Prokat makes a great boat.They didn't make the t top. They [prokat] have been good warranting the boat. Don't shy away from Prokat boats because of a faulty top built by someone else. Tony

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Man this is so far past me, I cannot even think about the cost, but I can think of who I paid. If I gave someone x amount of dollars for a boat, and that boat was under warranty, that boat would be parked in the person's lot until it was fixed. Think about this...Joe bought a rifle at wallyworld, a great rifle (when all of the guns were getting shipped out) andJoe knew who the manufacturer was at the time (Browning). Joe did not takehis gun to Browning, it was taken to Wally World, and they did what every one else would have done. They boxed it up and sent it off for repairs.

Good Luck and befair, they will take care of your issues, or they will not fare to well. Kinda like a time right after the hurricaines, when just about anyone was a carpetbagger. They came seeking fortune from hardship.Money was to be made for sure. In fact there are probably many members of this forum who were able to help and do well for themselves, the difference is, they are the people who make up and have madethe gulf coast what it is. People are fighting for their way of life every day. If all else fails, call Jim T and ask him who welded up his T-top. Just another forum member, but like so many other a great one(Huge Gator Fan).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ditto! The problem is between Procat and Top Guns.

Procat should step up and make good on THEIR product. They built it and sold it as a unit not individual parts.Passing the buck will hurt them and may very well do irrepairable harmin the long run. Think of how many different components are in a boat besides the obvious.Should the consumer have to track down the steering wheel manufacturer or the vinyl manufacturer for a problem. It has their name on it and they better stand by it or in this market they will wither on the vine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know how many of you are in the boat business but I am and it was an eye opener. First off one year is the about the max that a manufacture will warranty a boat outside of the hull. Pumps, T-tops, batteries, switches lights and ect. are normally covered for one year. No one is going to take a gun back never mind a boat after 1 1/2 years and say no problem we will fix it or give you your money back. If you believe that you are living in a fantasy world. The warranty is in writing. I have talked to Top Gun about another top that had a crack. They say it was because it wasn't installed at Prokat correctly. Trust me I have worked on many of those boats and it is not uncommon to find them just screwed to the deck. They are supposed to be through bolted with sealant under the pads. Don't get down on Top Gun to bad. Prokat has sold a hell of a lot of boats with Top Gun tops and I have only seen three that had a failure and one was on a crows nest not the top it's self. Tony call Bob and see if they can help. If nothing else maybe Top Gun will give you a discount on the repair. That guy seemed pretty resonable when I talked to him. Prokat won't do anything for you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Certainly says alot about a manufacturer (Pro Kat) when they will not stand by products they are putting on their boats even if it has been 1 1/2 years since purchase.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have paid another shop in Virginia to do warrantee work for me on Cape Horn boats 2 years after the delivery date. The boat could sit on the dealers lot for 12 to 14 months before sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts