Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of the guys that make the T-tops can answer this question for me. I need to replace the rope holding the canvas to my T-Top. Tim's group made it maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Its on a 19' cape horn. Question is how much rope do I need? Don't want to not buy enough or way to much.

·
Marine Fabricator
67 Posts
Laceing String

I use a 1/8 thick synthetic laceing cord. When you get the new canvas, fold it into quarters. Measure the distance from groumet to groumet and count the number of groumets. Multiply both the measurements by 4. Say you had 25 groumets then you will have a total of 100 for the top. Say they are 5 inches apart then you will need 500 inches of cord. Next measure the distance around the pipe that makes the outside of your ttop. probably around 5 inches. So you need another 500 inches to mke it around those. Your total is 1000 inches. I always add about 3 extra feet. Get a loop tied in the middle of your 1000 inch lace. Make the loop loose so you can untie it later. Take zip ties and position your canvas where you want it to lace in. Start in the middle of the front and lace evenly down the port and starboard side again evenly. You can go back up to the front to tighten the new canvas until it is tight like a drum skin.

You can also take the boat to Cindy at Island Quest Canvas at Pelicans Pearch (old Browns Marine)and she will make the new canvas supply you with the cord of lace it on for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts