Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 22 ft cat and I am having issues keeping the motors synced together. As we are running the motors will start to turn facing away from each other. On our last trip I had to straighten them out several times by turning off they valve on the port engine and match the starboard engine to the port engine.

Any ideas what would cause this? Thinking maybe air in the sea star steering but never had twins before or hydraulic steering so it is just a guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Team Jack 'Em Up
400 Posts
Syncing usually refers to the engines RPMS, in your case you are having issues with your liquid tie bar, or like on the World Cats it is called the telefelx system. From my research on here, THT, and other forums, it can be a leak letting air in at the steering box, bad cylinder seals, bad tie bar valve, etc. But I don't know what cat you're running so I don't really know the layout of your system.

I have also read quite a few posts on the World Cat forum where guys swear up and down about making sure to store the motor turned all the way either right or left to help prolong the life of the system.

But yes, sounds like air in the system. Now you need to find out where it's coming from - bad pump seals, bad cylinder seals, etc.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Yes, a leak in the system, or the system was never properly bled or purged of all the air. Seastar rams last a long time. Mine has over 7000 trouble free hours.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Look at your make and model number of your helm pump( the part behind your steering wheel). It is proably a Sea Star (Teleflex) and go to thier website and look up your part number. They will have bleeding instructions specific to your pump. They will have another page for getting motors in sync. You will have to bleed the system first to start the trouble shooting process and that might correct your problem. Sea Star has excellent support and will return your call within 2 hours if you have to leave a message for further trouble shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts