Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to see what the shallowest water was anyone has caught a sword, and what the shallowest depth you've had a bait at?

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I've caught one in 415ft and another in 386ft. I rarely put a bait shallower than 100ft anymore since sharks, remoras and other crap are so prevalent in the upper column. I would say I catch the majority of my swords in 700-1200ft and most frequently at depths of 150-200ft

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've caught one in 415ft and another in 386ft. I rarely put a bait shallower than 100ft anymore since sharks, remoras and other crap are so prevalent in the upper column. I would say I catch the majority of my swords in 700-1200ft and most frequently at depths of 150-200ft
x2 that has been our experience as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info... Exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully taking my first sword trip in the near future and wanted to establish the minimum depths.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have only been once, so by no means do I have much experience in the sword fish department... but we deployed our shallow bait at 60' down, and that's the one that landed our fish. It makes sense about minimizing/eliminating the shark and remora nuisance by deploying them deeper. I will remember that for next time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts