Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to fishing. As far as I get Swivels are used so that the line doesn't get twisted when using twister baits and Interlock Snaps are used to quickly change different baits/lures.

Three Questions:

1. Am I correct and is there anything else I should know (positive) about the two?

2. Is there any negative downsides to using one of the above mentioned or both at the same time?

3. How do I choose the right one based on the fishing line I will use. For example I'll use a 8 lb test fishing line. Does it mean I will have to find #8 Swivels/Locks, or they don't come in numbers or lb testings?

Thanks!

Ervand

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
You should always avoid snaps when unnecessary as they are bulky and more easily spotted by fish. Cheap ones are also known for opening under pressure resulting in lost fish. If you are going to get snaps then get the coastlock style not interlock, they are far more reliable. When trolling however most offshore fishermen including myself always use snaps to connect lures which will be changed frequently during the day. For this you should get the higher quality ball bearing swivels like those made by Sampo, Momoi, Billfisher and others. These are expensive but well worth it.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
keep your tackle as light as possible

swivels are also used to tie a leader to your line

use a fluorocarbon leader unless your target has teeth

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Swivels are supposed to prevent line twist. In a perfect world, they would eliminate twist 100%. Unfortunately, the tiniest bit of crud in the best of swivels can drastically reduce their effectiveness or even prevent any swivel action. Your best bet is to learn how to rig your baits to where twist is eliminated. That is not always easy. I have a terrible time with swim baits and twister tails but I keep trying.

One thing that works for me is to clamp a tiny split-shot on the tag end of the line atthe swivel knot.

Snaps are more convenience items than anything else. They make quick lure change a 'SNAP.' The down side of using snaps is you don't re tie often enough. Re-tying removes potentially frayed sections of your line. (Frays from teeth or line contact with barnacles, rocksand coral)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a buddy that lost two fish this past Labor Day tournament due to the snaps coming open on the swivels. These were not the Sampo style snap swivels, these were the escape proof swivels that have a scissor like action. I always thought these were the swivels that would most likely not come open and a week before the tournament he lost a fish to one coming open. Before he left to fish the tournament I sat down and checked all his swivels to ensure that they were not worn out,these swivels have resistance when you try to open them, and I threw out all swivels that were a little loose. He still had two come open and loose potential money fish. I have seen a 10+ pound bass lost due to a snap swivel coming open. In conclusion I will no longer be usingsnap swivels and use swivels only. Might be more retying and crimping, but I will not loose a fish due to an open snap.

Sorry for the book, to answer your questions 1) They reduce line twist 2) Swivels only, no snaps. 3) Use the smallest one you can find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cast-N-Call (10/21/2009)I have seen a 10+ pound bass lost due to a snap swivel coming open. In conclusion I will no longer be usingsnap swivels and use swivels only. Might be more retying and crimping, but I will not loose a fish due to an open snap.
The thing is, I don't go for the large fish. Usually I get something like 4 pounds even less. Enough to make myself a soup =) I think I'll do fine with any swivel...

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
For small fish, if you want to make fast changes I recommend you get some of the small Spro power snaps or Norman speed clips. The Spros would be my first choice as they are tiny and strong as hell.

Catlin, those scissor style snaps are over-priced garbage IMO. There is nothing wrong with a good 'ole Sampo.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I use black Genie clips with swivel. They are reliable and easy to use.

I don't know what the maximum ratings are but during my self imposed testing they withstood 75 lbs. C2

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yeah it may take a little more time to tie a lure on, but if it gets you more strikes and saves you from lost fish why not just tie a knot? I don't want anything to do with snaps, with the exception of trolling where the snap is way up at the top of the leader and away from the fish.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Catlin, those scissor style snaps are over-priced garbage IMO. There is nothing wrong with a good 'ole Sampo.
Get ready to do lots of crimping, everytime I step foot on Philip's boat the snaps are getting cut off the wind-ons and swivels put on. At least you will be selling more swivels, crimps, and chaff tubes. You are correct, with my limited experience I have never seen a Sampo fail, the scissor style swivels just looked more reliable to me, but looks are not everything.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I'll whoop your ass if you start cutting my stuff off especially over something that happened to your buddy and not you with something we don't use anyway. There's nothing wrong with those snaps we use. Have you lost a fish with one yet? NO, and if you say yes you're full of POO

Go ahead, cut them off. You're already going for a swim next time I see you.

·
Registered
941 Posts
As you have noticed, there is strong opinion on this subject. I have lost a large Blue Marlin and one giant Wahoo to snap swivels. I've had few other close calls too. That being said, I still use them. I use high quality ball bearing swivels for trolling, even kings. I use welded swivels only for bottom fishing. Recently I've notice that my black Sampo's are coming out of the package w/ green stuff on them and have noticed that the snaps seem to weaken pretty quickly. Currently, I've gone back to nickle finished swivelsas I think the process making the swivels darks is compromising their capacity. I clean and monitor my swivels pretty closely, plus the snaps and replace any of themif in doubt. I do fish w/ a couple of crews that do not use snaps, but they are blessed w/ a full crew that includes 2 deckhands. I don't have that kind of man power so I stick to quality snaps.

On swivel size, I always go heavier than my line. On 20# line I will use 60# swivels. On 30# 90-150#, on 50 200#. There will be those that will argue that you need to use lighter, but my experience is that most fish offshore eat due to the bait, the leader, the totalpresentation and not what is 6-15' in front of them at the swivel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Magic236 (10/21/2009)As you have noticed, there is strong opinion on this subject. I have lost a large Blue Marlin and one giant Wahoo to snap swivels. I've had few other close calls too. That being said, I still use them. I use high quality ball bearing swivels for trolling, even kings. I use welded swivels only for bottom fishing. Recently I've notice that my black Sampo's are coming out of the package w/ green stuff on them and have noticed that the snaps seem to weaken pretty quickly. Currently, I've gone back to nickle finished swivelsas I think the process making the swivels darks is compromising their capacity. I clean and monitor my swivels pretty closely, plus the snaps and replace any of themif in doubt. I do fish w/ a couple of crews that do not use snaps, but they are blessed w/ a full crew that includes 2 deckhands. I don't have that kind of man power so I stick to quality snaps.

On swivel size, I always go heavier than my line. On 20# line I will use 60# swivels. On 30# 90-150#, on 50 200#. There will be those that will argue that you need to use lighter, but my experience is that most fish offshore eat due to the bait, the leader, the totalpresentation and not what is 6-15' in front of them at the swivel.
Thanks. The problem is that all of you guys or most of you are catching large fish. To me 2 pound fish is big enough, so I don't think I will have any problems. I view it this way too... EVEN IF I do loose a fish once in a while, let it be the price for being able of changing lures quickly all this time.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's cool. I wish I was more laid back about it. For your purposes, primarily use welded snap swivels. That will help minimize line twist and make it easy to change rigs. Good luck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ervand: its not quite as simple as saying you only target smaller fish so you wont lose them. I think folks are trying to say you may not catch so many of them in the first place!

Think about this: to a 6 ft long fish a 1/2 inch long swivel or snap is like discoloration to one of the fries on your plate of food. Completely insignificant. To a 2lb fish that 1/2 inch swivel is something scary. Relative to its size that like a live crab crawling over your burger: you will notice it. Thinest(braid), lightest, least visible(floro),least unnatural twisting (maybe why you would use a swivel in first place) gets you more fish all other things being equal.

Especially the smaller ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ElJay (10/22/2009)Ervand: its not quite as simple as saying you only target smaller fish so you wont lose them. I think folks are trying to say you may not catch so many of them in the first place!

Think about this: to a 6 ft long fish a 1/2 inch long swivel or snap is like discoloration to one of the fries on your plate of food. Completely insignificant. To a 2lb fish that 1/2 inch swivel is something scary. Relative to its size that like a live crab crawling over your burger: you will notice it. Thinest(braid), lightest, least visible(floro),least unnatural twisting (maybe why you would use a swivel in first place) gets you more fish all other things being equal.

Especially the smaller ones.
Wait a sec, I just figured it out - do I mount my swivel/lock right to the bait/lure, or do I mount it somewhere along the line (like 2 feet away from the lure)? Because if it is away from the lure, I don't think it would scare fish off. It makes sense though if you mount it right on the lure.

Then I guess I would have to trade of a swivel and a lock, for just a lock. Wouldn't it make it much smaller? Make a lock 10lb test. Which is small enough and more then enough to catch 2lb fish. Would it make more sense or I am still not getting something?

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Ervand, its better to just snap the lure to the snap than keep it 2 ft away, as far as trying not to spook them. The lure will actually help "hide" the snap a little while if it was 2ft away it would be more easily spotted.I don't know if this is a major issue with the type of fishing you are doing but thats my .02 regarding that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts