Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PM'd x-shark but though I'd ask the PFF braintrust.
I'm looking for a switch panel to replace the crappy Blue Seas one. I've been through 2 of these switch panels. Put the last one in May of last year, and it's already starting to fail.
What do you recommend?

Blue Sea Systems WeatherDeck Waterproof Panels

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,982 Posts

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had one of those. I don't know what the deal is. The breakers corrode or something. I guess I can replace the breakers. Maybe spray down with corrosion-x to keep connections from corroding?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I got your message this morning.

Blue Seas stuff is usually pretty darn good, but not infallible.
Personally I don't like spade terminal type connections and yet the industry is full of it.
It's designed for Quick connections.....Note I didn't say Good connections, but it works....or as long as moisture isn't around and the connections aren't being bounced around......You know...Things a boat does. HA! :)

I've seen switches fail from Blue Seas from Non Use. Yes I know it was non Use , cause it was mine.

But I haven't seen quick failures such as asked about here......With that said ...It would merit some investigation as to conditions the boat were kept under.....and then there is the old adage.

"Just 'caue it's New.....Doesn't mean it's Worth a Damn!"

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response. The boat is on a lift, uncovered unfortunately. This panel is a bit exposed. I'm thinking of going with a 6-switch panel (have an 8-switch now) and mounting it vertically instead of horizontally. That would let the water drain instead of seeping in behind the switches. Also will fabricate a new mounting system that I can seal up better. What, if any, corrosion protection would you spray the lugs with?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I ponder this issue, the more convinced I am that I need to fabricate a covered access area for this panel. Also considering using a switch panel with a fuse box instead of the breakers. At least that way I can contain the moisture issues that are killing the breaker/switches. Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts