Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,754 Posts
This went over my head. Not familiar with the meaning.

Yeah. Just eliminate the threat discreetly and don’t tell anyone about it. That’s 100% what I would do in your case with kids involved. I’d do the same with my small kids. They are dinosaurs. Pure predators with minuscule brains that react on instinct and innate triggers. Not worth the risk in your case.

·
Super Moderator
12,721 Posts
Good to know. The neighbors here said they havent seen a gator in 20 years and on the otherside said they moved in 9 years ago and have never seen one. Thoughts this was a lost gator. If they are common here in the bayou then I cant get upset. Should have done better research before hand. Couldnt find anything on google when i was buying. As always, PFF is all knowing.
They aren't looking hard enough. You can walk out there just about any night during the summer and see multiple alligators. Most of them are going to be 6' or smaller but there will be the occasionals big one.

As for swimming I would not worry about it at all. I would be a little cautious with young kids near the water's edge particularly early in the morning or late evening. Same goes for dogs. But those with the same precautions everyone should be taking at any body of water in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have lived near the bayou for over 47 years and we used to jump off the bridge all times of the day and night and swam from the bridge to the boat ramp. We were younger and dumber then I guess! There have been gators consistently in the bayou my entire life so even if you remove that one I can guarantee you there are a dozen more you will still have.

I’ve never paid much attention to them or been to concerned but I dont have small children either. I would suggest all swimming stop early in the morning and late in the afternoon when they are most active and restrict swimming to just the middle of the day with someone watching over them while they are in the water. Dogs are a definite attraction or them.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I keep my boat at Destiny Marina on Mulat Bayou. We see small gators frequently. Never seen a biggun, but I’m sure they are around.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have been living in this area for 68 yrs. and the Mulat area is a NO SWIM area for me and my family. To many other good places around to swim at. But to each thier own....

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,930 Posts
You should take pictures for the neighbors. And zoomed in and clear, not blurred bigfoot type pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We live on Mulat (east end) near the overpass and regularly see 2-3 foot gators in the bayou. They are also frequently seen in The Moor's neighbohood lakes which sits next to Mulat....My son actually foul hooked a small gator a few years back when fishing for bass....Be aware and do not swim in the bayou...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Love that redfish pic Kev

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,587 Posts
I would not swim in that nasty water with or without a gator, its nasty. There are fresh water creeks close by that are much better for kids to swim In. The gators in the bayou are plentiful most of the larger ones get killed during gator season but there are plenty of them 6ft or less. And there are the illusion few bigguns. Had a friend many years ago that lost two dogs to gators on Mulay. You are in their home so your gonna have to get used to them. Get a pool...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts