Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a house 8 days ago on Mulat and have seen the same 6-8 foot gator twice cruising 150-200 ft away from our dock. Both times was in the evening time and the kids were already out of the water. I have been looking at ways to make a netted swimming area without much luck. Will be contacting FWC SNAP hotline to see what they say. I have been in Florida all my life and around gators all my life but something feels different. I hate to tell my kids they can't swim anymore since we just moved in but I don't feel comfortable. They are 8 and 9 so not very big and splash around alot. Seems like a calling card. Am i being paranoid?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I sure wouldn't want an 8' gator lurking around my dock and backyard if I had young kids who swam there. I'd definitely be ready to dispose of it come hunting season!

·
lees way2
1,330 Posts
There was a 11ft 9in one taken out of there 6 or so years ago. Where are yall at on mulat, I am across Avalon from you.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I read that you were being cautious and I would be too if I had small kids. I do believe this can be a teachable moment for you to discuss wildlife with your children. When you live in a place like Mulat Bayou, your children will see all kinds of wildlife. Teach awe and respect and they more than likely will do just fine growing up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I doubt they will let you string a gill net across the area. call it what you will but that's what it will be. I also would think what other problems that may cause. something gets caught up in it that you put out that could be a big liability. Plenty of things swim in there that you may not want to kill. And say someone gets it caught up in a boat prop. Who's problem will that be. Not trying to talk you out of it but think of the other things that could happen or may be a liability. What would happen if one of your kids gets caught up in the net. Just be sure to think all through. A net is a non selective killing device and it does not care what's gets close to it. You may be making it worse. a school of menhaden get caught in the net and that may not distract the gator but attract it.

Again not nay saying just think it all through. your solution could be a bigger problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,721 Posts
I caught 2 over 9' out of mulat a few years ago for SNAP.... one of them was an awesome story but just too much to type right now... both gators I feel were an absolute danger to pets and humans, and that's saying something because most of the calls were a complete waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt they will let you string a gill net across the area. call it what you will but that's what it will be. I also would think what other problems that may cause. something gets caught up in it that you put out that could be a big liability. Plenty of things swim in there that you may not want to kill. And say someone gets it caught up in a boat prop. Who's problem will that be. Not trying to talk you out of it but think of the other things that could happen or may be a liability. What would happen if one of your kids gets caught up in the net. Just be sure to think all through. A net is a non selective killing device and it does not care what's gets close to it. You may be making it worse. a school of menhaden get caught in the net and that may not distract the gator but attract it.

Again not nay saying just think it all through. your solution could be a bigger problem.
I hear you. I have thought about all of that as well. Thats what I meant when I said I wasnt having any luck. Wasnt looking at fishing net like a shark net. Thats designed to gill and kill. Too small of a net and the drag from the tide going in and out would be hard to manage and too big and ill have all sorts or critters in it constantly. I was looking at tangle free net and also debris netting. Again nothing works when I put it together in my head. As for the boat part the area would be inside of my dock. I know i dont own the water but hopefully not many boaters will be going between the dock and yard.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm not from that area, so what is this Mulat you guys are talking about? Bayou, River, I've found a couple on Google Earth in the Pensacola area, just curious to exactly body of water it is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I caught 2 over 9' out of mulat a few years ago for SNAP.... one of them was an awesome story but just too much to type right now... both gators I feel were an absolute danger to pets and humans, and that's saying something because most of the calls were a complete waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Good to know. The neighbors here said they havent seen a gator in 20 years and on the otherside said they moved in 9 years ago and have never seen one. Thoughts this was a lost gator. If they are common here in the bayou then I cant get upset. Should have done better research before hand. Couldnt find anything on google when i was buying. As always, PFF is all knowing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts