Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you look at swellinfo what is most important information in your decision on whether to go out in your kayak or not? Surf info or swell info? I know you never know for sure until you get there and see for yourself but trying to understand what most people use to give them the best idea whether it is going to be an acceptable kayak day or not.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Basically I'm looking for swell less than 1.5ft with a wave period preferably around 5 seconds. Winds under 10 and preferably out of the north

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would guess the most underappreciated element is wave period. Obviously kayakers go out in conditions 3+ all the time in countries like Australia and South Africa as thats a small day for them, but they are probably dealing with an 8 or 9 second wave period. I had my surf kayak out at the pier last month and was having a great time with 3' and an occasional 5' wave, but I called it a day when the period dropped to around 4s I couldn't even get back out without getting hammered. Wide, slow waves offshore aren't a problem until you come back in, but steep whitecaps driven by strong wind can flip you at any time and require too much attention to fish. Lots of factors to consider like JD said. A guide will keep you out of trouble or save you a long drive for nothing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any wind out of the east above 8 stay home or find a pool learned my lesson the hard way 5 hours of 3-6' and paddling got me no where but to keep the spot. And I was in flipped by a huge wave in the surf on reentry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts