Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the 127 Yard Sale this weekend. Since Thursday, I put 1460 miles on my truck. 1460 divided by 18 is 81 gallons of fuel at the cost of (average) $2.30 a gallon is $186.00. Hotel fer 3 nights, lets say $375...Food, huh can't even figure that one but probably fer me and the ole lady at least $100 a day. Brings the total costs of $861.00! (Can't really put a price on my time!) So this little 304 was very very very expensive:rolleyes::yes::D hahaha

Let me start off by saying folks in them parts (north AL through KY) don't believe in quality fishing gear... All I found were walmart specials so when I saw a $10.00 table with a pile of reels and saw this little 304, I got a little excited!!!! I picked her up and she looked 9 outta 10 w/ a little rash on the spool. Never looked like she was fished with. Looked like someone put some 15 lb test on it so I pulled and the drag was tight. Loosened up a bit and started pulling. Good to go, and everything else worked great! So of course I paid the $10!!! I know ebay has a boat load of em ranging in prices from 10+. I went on a search fer a decent spinning rod and found an older Garcia rod that paired up w/ it nicely fer $5.00. I can't wait to get some line on her and get her doing what she was made to do!!! Something about the curves of these old Mitchell's that is appeasing to my eye!

I cleaned her up and everything is good, but if I have any issues---Ole Joe and Keith will be seeing her fer treatment!!!

20150810_075800_zpshy13t6kr.jpg

20150810_075833_zpspa2pz1pj.jpg

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Nice reel Jason

What do Keith or Joe charge for a make over?
I've got old Mitchell 300's, 302's and Penn greenie I'd like to be looked t.

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great decoration piece.
Decoration???? hahaha.....nahhhhhhh this bad gal will be back on the water tomorrow!!!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Digging it brother! Hmm, I'm thinking a ceramic bearing, Carbontex drag washers, an aluminum jigging knob, & a full spool of 30 lb. braid, then put her up against some bull reds? :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Jason, I figured you would be in Michigan by now. Did you drive back yesterday ?
I saw a ton of junk reels up there. I did find a few Mitchell 300s for $15 - $20 but I've got several so didn't buy them.
I was just outside Mentone Alabama Saturday and stopped at an intersection where several people were set up. One table had a Penn 12/0 on a rod in I would say 85% condition. I figured it might be cheap since there aren't many sharks in northern Alabama.
I asked the price and I thought the lady said $55. I was about to whip out my wallet and I said "You did say $55 ?" She said "No, it's $500." Soooo, I put my wallet back in my pocket.
I saw a lot of guns for sale south of Crossville. Didn't see any deals. One guy wanted $665 for a stainless Ruger Security Six. I saw a lot of overpriced single shot .22s and pump shotguns. One old Savage 24 caught my eye (.22/.410) but he wanted $450 for it.
One guy had a couple of big tables full of chainsaws and also some outboards. Pretty good prices. I bought a nice Stihl carrying case from him for $20.
I came close to buying a vintage whaling harpoon from a guy south of Chattanooga but talked myself out of it.
I saw a 1971 Honda CL100 ($1500) and about a 1976 Camaro (350 engine) and an early 60s Ford Galaxy with a 352 in it.
It was a lot of fun and we will be doing it again. How were the sales up around Lexington ?

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,121 Posts
Cool reels..! I've had a bunch of them in my collection. At one time I had all the Mitchell reels new in the box. Some of the 300's came in a tackle box full of lures, parts, and extra spools. I had those too. Also the AutoMatic reels that were real cool.

All I have left is a 402 NIB.

You know I'll take care of it for free. They are super easy with very little parts.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Cool reels..! I've had a bunch of them in my collection. At one time I had all the Mitchell reels new in the box. Some of the 300's came in a tackle box full of lures, parts, and extra spools. I had those too. Also the AutoMatic reels that were real cool.

All I have left is a 402 NIB.

You know I'll take care of it for free. They are super easy with very little parts.
I've got a NIB Mitchell 300x reel. Red and black plastic box. I'm thinking probably made in the 70s. What does the X mean ?
I thought maybe it meant extra since it came spooled with Garcia Royal Bonyl (or something like that) line.

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sawyer, Keith will get it when I burn it out....I'll keep her in fresh water fer now. I loaded her up w/ 8lb test and think I may try a bull on it just to see if she can do it!!!

Steve, them guns were all outrageous!!! Couldn't get over some of the prices...We didn't do too much. We drove into TN yesterday then when we saw most folks pack up hit the interstate and came home... Got home bout 2130. I don't mind driving too much, just after a long drive...these bones start to seize up!!!

Keith, I'll keep ya up on it but you will definitely get to work on her!!!

Thanks!

Reactions: ThaFish

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
We got on I59 around Fort Payne. We were about worn out.
I probably saw 50 guns total and not one of them a decent price.
I was actually hoping I didn't see a steal on a handgun since, being a non-resident, I couldn't buy.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
MAN! I'd have been all over that Savage 24 for $450. I've been looking for one for about 20 years and havent found one for less than $600+, and only when I dont have $$$.

I was looking for some 302/402's a couple of years ago and got a 304 in a combo auction. It was pretty rashed up and was a tad stiff. I stripped it and redid it all for my wife to use for bream and catching bait. Here is what it ended up looking like. I'll let you guess what here favorite color combo is...

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I usually find a dozen or so from 302, 304, 306. Have a few still laying around I found on our last trip on the sale

1 - 18 of 18 Posts