Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started climbing a tree this afternoon around one the same spot i have hunted several times and the whole time i was climbing i kept smelling something sweat and i have never smelled this before i got about 40-50 feet stoped and looked about started climbing then i jumbed a pretty good size buck atleast a 6 point anout 30yard from my tree does this have anything to do with the smell

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sounds like you were smelling that 6pt.A rutting buck has a very distinct smell (musky smell & strong)...have you ever had the previledge to smell a buck during his rut before??? If not that was probably what you smelled.

I get a whiff of a buck now and then when I'm out scouting or walking around this time of year. That just means a buck has been in the area recently and probably took a piss nearby.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i dont thing i have i have seen bucks during the rut but never payed attion to the smell when i am that close to smell them i am usually to excited because i am standing overtop of them:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
If I understand your story correctly, then that 6pt is exactly what you were smelling. Next time you (or somebody else you hunt with) kills a buck during the rut, kneel down and take a good close whiff of their tarsal glands (black area located on back legs)...seriously. You'll probably never forget that smell again.

My fiance is getting into hunting, and the buck I took on 1/1/08, I made her smell those glands. She did it, then she about slapped me...but all good hunters will know what a rutting buck smells like!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
fishin daily (1/9/2008)no i dont thing i have i have seen bucks during the rut but never payed attion to the smell when i am that close to smell them i am usually to excited because i am standing overtop of them:)

Next time you're standing over one with it's neck all puffed up, walk around it before you gut it and take a whiff. I'd agree you were probably smelling the buck. Otherwise I doubt you would have jumped him if he had been down wind of you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
First time I smelled a rutty buck I was on my way to the stand and stopped dead in my tracks.

I thought, hmmmm I smell a deer. 10 steps later I jumped a nice 8. Since then, I've learned to recognize it and smelled many a buck.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
ive smelled deer while walkin in the woods and then jumped the deer tons of times. you were almost def smelling the buck.my hunting partner killed a 7pt last fri andwe were down wind and actually followed the smell to the buck fairly easily. tarsals is a smell taht you will never forget. but i dont think its a bad smell IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would agree that you may have been smelling that buck. Personally wouldn't discribe it as a "sweet" smell...more of a funky, musky rank of that 'ol rutty buck. IMO.Love that smell though.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Yup, smells like a cross between a wet dog and a 500lb Biggest Losers contestant after a walk up a flight of stairs.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
NICE!! yea man, i bet if you put someone on that road or right inside the woodline maybe 50-60 yards where it gets a lil thicker, Big Buck Down!!! im goin up to evergreen in the AM. Me, my dad, brother and our friend Steve are gonna hunt all day tomorrow. were gonna hang a couple stands so ill take some pics and post them. ill give you a look at my place..

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Some of our hunting party wasmaking a drive the other day and one of the standers said he could smell a deer and one of the scrubbers said that was a first for him and kinda laughed it off. I knew better and told him later that it is not uncommon for someone to smell a deer if they are pre-rut or rutting. We found numerous scrapes in the area so I think I may go back and put the ole climber to good use. A deer is not the only mammel that can use their nose!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey thanks for the info guys next time i smell that i will be looking hard around me when i start climbing. If i get another one this year while in right i will def take a big wiff i am on a mission though i already got 5 this year so im not looking for meat i want the BIG rack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts