Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in the last week here in Pace, the yellow flies are going CRAZY in my neighborhood, and they bite. They swarm on cars or people by the dozens. I havent seen them like this in the 4 years I have lived here. Any solutions to reduce or eliminate these vultures?
I tried searching the forum, pretty worthless results that weren't even close to the subject.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I don't have an answer, but same deal in Cantonment, this is the worst I've ever seen for them

·
VIP of the PFF
8,434 Posts
Get an inner tube hang it about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. Coat it with some sort of sticky petroleum product....I think that I used STP oil treatment. Any way it needs to be a little thick so that it won't just run off. The black color attracts them and the sticky junk traps them. I have also used a black bucket before.

·
Wolfgang
257 Posts
It may have something to do with all the dry weather we've had lately. They've been bugging the hell out of me when I'm out back trying to fry fish. Hopefully this rain will change something.

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
When I came in the other night, the ole lady asked if anyone was with me....I asked why and she said it sounded like I was talking to someone....I said no, I was f bombing a bunch of dern horse flies that were attacking me when I was trying to work on the lights/water fer my barns!!!!!!!! It seems they are worse at day break and right at dark!!!!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Before we do our morning walk, we use repellent with Deet. Doesn't kill them of course, and they still are annoying as hell, but they don't bite. I'm no expert, but I'd bet they are so thick due to the warm winter. We never had a hard frost.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
This is our first year in our new house in Woodbine Hills and there is a 50' wide wooded buffer between us and the neighbors behind us with dense landscaping on the sides of the property as well. The shade is nice, but the yellow flies are making me want to cut everything down.

Those f'er's are FIERCE!!!

Thankfully, I've read this is the peak breeding season for them, they'll be gone in about 2 - 3 weeks.

Going to try and make some of those sticky balls this weekend, probably the only thing I'll be able to catch this weekend due to the crappy weather forecast.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Blue solo cup glued to the top of a baseball hat. Then coat another blue solo cup with tanglefoot (sticky insect trap goo). Slide the gooey cup over the glued cup. Put the hat on your head and go for a walk, or go cut grass. Or just ride around on an atv/mower/golf cart.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Red works also, but not as good as blue.

I keep the hat laying on a table by the garage door. This time of year whenever I walk out to get something I put it on and almost always catch a few. It really seems to keep the population under control.

Reactions: Fishing Grandpa
1 - 20 of 26 Posts