Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day started off slow, I left my pinfish trap in too long and the bait was picked clean and all but 3 pins were long gone. So we hit the bait boat after leaving the pass and were on our way in beautiful slick calm seas. The run to the edge is a hell of a lot less boring when you can run wide open and get there quick! There were almost no signs of life the entire way out, but we put out a trolling spread to build a rolodex of numbers to hop back to. No bites and no sign of flyers or grass or birds so we went to the most notable show and it was nonstop mingo and porgy action. We sent a decent sized porgy down and it was hit pretty quickly by what I am pretty sure was a good sized shark, and a 5 minute extremely one sided battle ended when the 100 lb leader was chomped through. Throughout the day I hooked 3 other probable sharks and couldn't stop them, even on a TLD-50 locked down. I'm pretty sure they were sharks and not AJ's since they swam off calmly, taking drag at will, with the occasional faster run when they felt like it. The weird thing was we crushed the mingos and porgies, and we often left hooked fish on the line for a 30 seconds to a minute hoping for doubles or triples and we didn't lose a single fish to the tax man, but a big bonita slab would get hit immediately. Maybe they were AJ's after all, I don't know.

We kept an eye out for the dragon capsule landing thinking we might be able to spot them when they're high up, but no such luck. All in all an excellent day out on the water with the parents. We ended up keeping probably 14 mingos and 8 porgies before we decided we should call it quits so we wouldn't be cleaning fish all night. Hopefully we get a few more weekends with weather like this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bait boat, where, is there a schedule, does the bait boat have a connection email, phone, etc.? Thank you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just cigar minnows. At $10 per scoop its almost as cheap as frozen bait. IDK where you guys leave from (Pcola has a boat too), but the destin boat is generally within 1/2 a mile of the pass and monitor channel 80 and they're very active on facebook. I don't know how often they are out there, it's seasonal depending on if bait is in the area, but if it's good weather on a summer weekend I'd expect them to be out there. We always have squid, frozen cigs and bonita on the boat in case the bait boat is sold out though. You can't have too many options on hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. Good info. Do you or anyone seeing this know anything about PNS pass. I know the earlier gentleman passed, don't know if anyone picked up that business. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts