Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I loaded up my boat and went to launch and the starter just spun around without engaging the flywheel. I removed the starter. If I manually, slow turn the the pinion it rises into position properly. If I put a battery on it and spin it at speed it does not rise but rotates rapidly. Do I need a new pinion for $245 or is there some other solution. How do you get the split ring off the end of the shaft? It says to use a screwdriver and pry it out. Not that easy.

Bob

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
you may only have to lube the bendix. do not use a heavy grease. I use Fluid Film and it does great. You can get it at National Standard parts on V st. Use it to coat the whole engine too. If you want to take the retainer off, you have to slide the collar down away from the end of the shaft to get access to the spring clip.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,306 Posts
The bendix just needs cleaning and a tiny bit of lube. Remove the bendix from the starter so the cleaning agent doesn't get into the starter. Easy fix..

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have to agree with the above. I had the same issue on my starter for my 98 merc motor. Lube up shaft never had the problem again.

Love the Fluid Film!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.