Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been curious about this river for many years.
I am thinking I need to trailer over there, rent a waterfront VRBO, and get it out of my system.
It appears there are few homes for rent, however; I have just begun my investigation.

Have any of y'all been on that river, and can provide some advice?
It appears scalloping may be accessed near the mouth, as I see some scallop charters in Suwannee.
But I also see several springs along the river.
I am not really looking for a fishing trip, but more to explore the river, and figure out why some sing about it. Hahaha

Thanks
BT

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
we were in Cedar Key a few years ago and boated down to the Suwanee one day. it was beautiful and the fishing at the mouth was pretty good. also some scallops in the area. i looked on the web at some rentals on the river and really like the idea. let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Suwannee river is full of sandbars. Boaters pile up on them in the summer. Also alotttttttt of sturgeon. The boats spook them and a 80 lb fish is coming over the bow. Had 2 land in the boat frog giggin there one time. This the oldtown area. Don't know to much out of that area. dark water gators as well.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lots of springs and fair amount of gators. Fanning Springs state park is located just off of US19, the spring is closed for swimming right now due to water level. Manatee springs state park is about a 45 minute drive towards the coast from Fanning springs, it is a good place for manatee watching and swimming, kayaking etc. Exploring the River by boat should be fun, there are quite a few smaller springs if you look for them, not all are good for swimming though due to size. Be cautious of the gators, they are fairly plentiful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I grew up over there. Never fished it much but its a lot of fun boating. Little springs everywhere you can pull in some and walk in other small ones. Lots of rope swings, tubing and people hanging out on weekends.There is snakes and gators but it was very rare to have them bother anyone. Just don't go after heavy rain, logs everywhere.

Some places to check out:
Go up santa fe river to Ichetucknee River, crystal clear river.
Rock bluff
Ginnie springs
Rum Island

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you for the replies, this has given me some things to consider.

Yes, I have considered the Houseboat Rental, and of course; I am a big fan of houseboats. My brother and I rented a pair of 40' Gibsons' and towed his 18 bow rider with a 200 HP and I a 16 foot fisher with a 4 hp, and have taken the St. Johns from Jacksonville to Deland on a 7 day trip, pretty awesome.

I rented a Holiday Mansion and went into Ten Thousand Islands and Everglades city from Marco Island for 7 days.

Then I purchased a 36' Gibson, dual station, twin 350 crusaders in Tennessee and brought it home to Pensacola down the Ten Tom. I then operated Pensacola Houseboat Rentals for 4 years. Houseboating is awesome, expanded when you tow a play vessel, which I almost always did.

I am still deciding between a Houseboat towing my 17 Whaler, or renting a waterfront house and running my boat up and down. The later will allow me to cover more river, at a faster pace. And with all the springs to see, this might be my final choice.

However, running a lazy houseboat 75 miles north of the GOM sounds fun, but Gateway Marina (Who purchased Miller's Mariana) in Suwannee FL does not have a houseboat for rent right now. Their boats are in a state of disrepair. They are having trouble finding someone to repair them. They were all 1984 models. So either I wait until who knows when they will have Houseboats again for rent or proceed with a waterfront house.

This is getting interesting, and I have to go learn that River.
Again, thanks for the replies.
BT

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would try the house on the water, allows a little more flexibility. If you are a diver there are many springs within a 2 hr drive As others have pointed out. You might want to pick up a book on the springs in Fl, you can probably find one at your local dive shop or book store. I think that you will have a great either way you decide to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been curious about this river for many years.
I am thinking I need to trailer over there, rent a waterfront VRBO, and get it out of my system.
It appears there are few homes for rent, however; I have just begun my investigation.

Have any of y'all been on that river, and can provide some advice?
It appears scalloping may be accessed near the mouth, as I see some scallop charters in Suwannee.
But I also see several springs along the river.
I am not really looking for a fishing trip, but more to explore the river, and figure out why some sing about it. Hahaha

Thanks
BT
I am interested in seeing the river as well. My plans are to take my 32 foot Everglades from Perdido Key and tour the western side of Florida. Any suggestions for a place to stay in Swanee would be appreciated. Going to travel about a 100 miles each day. Probably go all of the way to the Keys.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the place I have chosen, just have not booked it yet, still figuring out a time to go.

I did not see too much in Suwannee that looked appealing as this, manly hotel type places and bunk houses.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked all over the town of Suwannee and decided I would like it better about 30 minutes up river in the places I have linked above.
I don’t see the links? I’m new on this site. Definitely prefer better and cleaner places to stay. Did you find places to stay on the internet?

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t see the links? I’m new on this site. Definitely prefer better and cleaner places to stay. Did you find places to stay on the internet?
Yes, I placed two links above for places to stay, North of Suwannee by about 30 minutes up river.
Are you using a phone or computer. This site is easier to use on a computer, verses a phone, but you can still see then from my phone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts