Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pair!
Was the water clear, or weedy?
I cant believe you got those in the surf, but then again I've been getting pompano in the bay.
No weeds. The green is beginning to clear a bit. I found these feeding off the bar close in. Caught and missed several and then they were gone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice pair!
Was the water clear, or weedy?
I cant believe you got those in the surf, but then again I've been getting pompano in the bay.:laughing:

Do Pompano often go into the bay in the summer or do most of them venture out into deeper, cooler gulf water?

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the Outer Banks of NC, speckled trout run in the surf when the water is fairly chilly in the spring with water temperatures in the 50s. But you can also catch some in the surf zone there when water temperatures are in the 80s in the middle of summer. The migrations seem to occur in the change of seasons but there are resident fish that linger year round it seems. The more I learn about fishing patterns the more complicated it seems.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,517 Posts
I saw the biggest one I have ever seen today, in the surf. She was a monster. Thought it was a big red cruising at first. Didn't care for what I had though.

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
685 Posts
Are Speckled Trout in the surf for much of the year?
Most if not all of the year.
I've caught specks along the Alabama beaches every month.
They never move far from their foodsource, but that changes during the course of the year.
Right now they are targeting glass minnows and baby "LYs" being swept in or out of the passes by the tide.

LOTS of nice 2 1/2# to 3# trout like those in the pic and occasionally even bigger!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts