Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what is a good length of surf rod to get? I have 2 at 7 ft. but based on what I see out there maybe too short. Also, why are the so tall. I notice they are all 7-12 ft.? Is this to allow beachwalkers to walk underneath Lines or to acheive distance in casting. Any info would be a appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I prefer 12' with big guides. I think it's more of what kind of techniques are you using? The equipment only gets you so far.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I pretty much use 2 sizes of surf rods; 7-8ft for pompano and 10ft for bull reds. I catch most of my pompano within 100ft of shore so a long rod doesn't benefit me when I'm targeting them. For fall reds, I want to be able to get a bait past the bar if needed and be able to keep the line above the shorebreak.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What's the ballpark figure on how much more casting distance per foot on the rod? I know my 6'6" rod is too short but I don't know if I really need to go to 12'. My reel is a Penn 750SS with 20lb line. I have it narrowed down to an Ugly Stik, I'm just wondering on the length.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i can't really say how muck more distance you get per foot but i have a 750 also but mine is spooled with 40lb. braid, i paired it with an 11' rod and can get over the bar... but before that it had a 9' rod and did just fine... (60-75yds)

·
Registered
514 Posts
but i would guess the extra 2' added 25+yds to the cast, but i believe that would all be due to you technique...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with penn. Not sure the science behind it, but I know it cast further. I guess the only other thing is that the longer rod helps to keep your bait off the bottom completely buried in the sand. It's the angle thing... Shorter rod, shallower angle... Longer rod, steeper angle...

·
Registered
629 Posts
i can't really say how muck more distance you get per foot but i have a 750 also but mine is spooled with 40lb. braid, i paired it with an 11' rod and can get over the bar... but before that it had a 9' rod and did just fine... (60-75yds)
which bar you takin about? I was out this morning slingin it as hard as I could,just wouldn't go over the bar that was in front of me. Maybe I need better techniqe, or go find a closer bar:D

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 9 footer should do you good, and i was talking about the first bar on Johnson's Beach, some places are closer some are farther, out at Ft. Pickens it looks like the bar is right on the beach at Langdon...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts