Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about building a bait bucket for the surf. Here's my plan

Take two 5 gallon buckets one with a lid one without. Cut a lot of holes either with a drill or with a skill saw to allow water to freely flow through one, add weight at the bottom and flotation at the top. Make a spring loaded hatch on the lid like the brim baskets you get at walmart (only stiffer) and add an anchor line at the bottom with a small bruce anchor to keep it in place. I would think it could be left in the gut while I'm surf fishing. When I get ready to go back to the house I could just put that bucket in a bucket without holes, add water and an aerator and be good to go.

Or am I completely over thinking this and should just get one of these and call it good? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Angler-Wire-Fish-Basket-Black/23704397

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I like the bucket idea more. Should last a lot longer, and you won't get bait stuck in it.

We did the same thing for dock fishing but no floats.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did it work without the floats? I'm just thinking in the surf it would be more stable with something to keep it upright better.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Only this I would be worried about is the bait getting beaten up against the inside of the bucket if there's and significant surf. Otherwise the bucket idea sounds like a good plan.

On the other hand a 5 gallon bucket with an aerator works good too. Especially when you can cycle out the water with fresh stuff every so often

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I could find a nice protected hole without much movement that wouldn't be an issue. Of course that's not always an option. If I were in my kayak I could just take it out past the breakers and anchor it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts