Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good pointers on how to surf fish in 15-20 mph winds? I struggled today and came up with nothing. Tried for specs in the morning and bull reds in the afternoon.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lots of fish close to the beach in washouts where SE winds won't be a factor. Green slime/July grass... now that is another matter. Usually that stuff hugs the shoreline.

Tried to go out today after reading of all the flounder caught early morns near my house, but that darn slime made it a waste.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winds and seaweed were horid today at Fort morgan. I tried to tight line for reds and the seaweed kept catching my line and dragging back. Nobody caught anything besides catfish in the murky water.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Different lures and thin diameter line. Your cast has to be more horizontal and at the end of the cast you need to pick up the slack before it lays on the water. This low angle cast means less slack and the quicker retrieval allows you to connect to your lure quick. Heavier, more compact lures like a buck tail jig or slab spoon will enable you to feel more. Some of my best days on big reds, blues and specks were outings where most would've said "screw it" and headed back home.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Another extremely overlooked lure in the surf, especially on rough days is a Rat L Trap. They cast well even in heavier gear and dig hard. The extra sound in the surf definitely pisses Redfish off because it always produces when the water looks like garbage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank guys. I did figure out to keep the line tight on the way back up and it helped some. I didn't bring a lot of artificial lures with me this go around. Ill see what I can work out my last two days here. I would love to hook another big red.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts