Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working in the area for the summer. Figured I'd give shark fishing a try. I know a lot of guys are passionate about it. I can see why I from Shreveport and the idea of catching a 8' plus shark blows my mind. Wondering if you guys can be of any help. I understand they like Bonita I got some maybe not enough. I'm using 100 pound braided a 110 pound leader about 600 yards long. That's just on my penn spin fisher. I've already got $1200 invested in this and the only luck I've had in four months was a foot long bull in Galveston. Any suggestions? Like prime time beach area open to the public? Bait? And set up?

·
Grateful Angler
461 Posts
I run a Penn 9/0 with 600 Yards 100lb braid and around 250 yards of 80lb Mono Topshot. I use #19 wire thats about 6 feet long and then a 10 foot length of 400lb mono for the leader.

Great bait is stingray, jacks, bonita, fish heads from the charters or seafood shops. I prefer ray because nothing but sharks mess with it and it holds up well.
Good bait is Mullet, Ladyfish, whiting

Bait is better fresh than frozen.

I kayak out my bait a couple hundred yards and try to get it into deeper water. I drop around sunset and will usually have a run by 8 or 9.

Pretty much any gulf beach works. I have had good luck at Johnsons in the past.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I've got a 9/0 with basically the same set up too.thanks bro. I think I'm gonna try daupin island this evening and mobile bay near sand island tomorrow. I'm sure there's nothing but bulls in there. Talked to a guy at bass pro a couple months ago. He said they had a club and the founder was a guy that lost a chunk of leg in the bay back in the 70s. Has there been any activity in there latley?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried gulf shores for convenience sake last night. Got there and seas were 2' - 3' slamming the beach. So I waited ,did some research, come to find out it's illegal to target sharks on Alabama coastlines. That was news to me. I ended up fishing for spec. Got one. Cut him up and used him for bait on the lagoon side. Wouldn't you know it no bite despite some people that had already been there saying a juvenile bull had been stealing what they hooked throughout the day. I'm going to try fort Morgan or mobile bay today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts