Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to ask a question about surf casting techniques. I typically fish around the local spots such as Johnson Beach, Pcola Beach, Navarre Beach, Fort Pickens, etc... I try and just sling the [email protected]#$% out of my rod and hope I get it out far. Well, I've only managed to hit right in front of what I believe to be the first sandbar. I think I've got a rod with every type of setup known to man. Braid, no braid, big guides, little guides, lots of guides, big reels, little reels, whew!!! lol... And then I've tried the pendulum casting technique, the flat pendulum casting technique, the wading out to the sandbar technique... I guess my question is... Is there a better technique out there? And if so, what is it? Or am I casting about as far as a person can? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Have you ever casted with a smaller convetional reel??? They cast miles further than a spinning setup... Try a smaller conventional with braid and a 10'+ rod...

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Have you ever casted with a smaller convetional reel??? They cast miles further than a spinning setup... Try a smaller conventional with braid and a 10'+ rod...

What do you mean by "conventional' reel?

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Look up tommy farmer on youtube. lots of good video on him and some of the english guys.

Stephen
The dude is pretty fat. I imagine all that weight gives him a huge advantage in that technique.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I disagree with this statement completly,there have been threads on other forums that go on and on about this subject. If you want proof let's set up a time next weekend and I will show you what I am takin, bout.

Guy, the only way to know for sure how you are doing as a caster is to get out onto an open field when nobody is around to get hurt by a wayward piece of lead, make a few casts and measure them.
I can cast a 3oz pyramid and apiece of shrimp 98 yards out on the field.Bellive me I have spent hour after hour and and a small fortune on rods and reels, with the wind at my back it goes a little more than that,with the wind my face a lot less. I always want to put a bait over that sand bar but depending on what sand bar you are takin bout some times it just won't go. then other times it will go and you discover that there are no fish in the vicinity or you have launched your rig into a bunch of slimy little catfish.

Mat C and I usually fish Johnson beach Saturday and Sunday AM, we are both distance casting fools, well Iam anyway, come on down some time, it's fun.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Are you catching any fish Jim?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
LoL... I can't do it this weekend of course, but how about on the morning of 21st. Just pick the letter and time and I'll be there. I wanna see this!!! I'll bring a rod and if ya don't mind, I'l like to pick up some pointers too...

It looks like he's just barely throwing it. And that's kinda a modified pendulum cast. And it don't show how far he's slinging it either.

Right now I gots a penn conguer 5000 (courtesy of pomp joe). Nice reel. And a 12ft 1-piece e-glass with big quides custom. I switched back to mono because I thought I was gonna lose my finger with braid lol...

I'm kinda doing the same type of cast as in the video and I'm hittin about 20yds short of the sandbar at JB. Which ain't bad... It might be like ya said that I just need some more practice and tweek some here and there...

Catching fish is the most important thing. I thought I alreay caught all the catfish out of JB... I swear they out number the pompano...

·
Registered
514 Posts
A conventional is like a baitcaster with no levelwind... and why disagree??? Just a question, i know alvey side casts held the record for years but when i tried to cast one i couldn't outcast my conventional... But you do have to know how to cast a conventional to get any distance...

·
Registered
514 Posts
And if you want proof that a conventional can cast farther than a spinner look up the the guys who hold the current world record casts... they ALL use conventionals... Gotta be some reason for that...

·
Registered
845 Posts
A conventional is like a baitcaster with no levelwind... and why disagree??? Just a question, i know alvey side casts held the record for years but when i tried to cast one i couldn't outcast my conventional... But you do have to know how to cast a conventional to get any distance...
and watch out for bird nests I believe there called. When I use them my thumb will fall off for a half a second and get all tangled up

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you catching any fish Jim?
5 trips to the beach this week a few small whiting and two pomps.
bunch of catfish this AM. either it's been tough fishing or I am in a terrible slump. Belive me I have tried everything the last two weeks different rigs,different spots, all kinds of beads,floats ,lures fresh shrimp,peeled and unpeeled, salted clams, different sized hooks, walkinig down the beach for a half mile or so, I don't know whats going on. Fishin is not that good right now,but I have a lot of other things that are going well. business is begining to come in, health is good,generally all is well,life is good.:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
LoL... I can't do it this weekend of course, but how about on the morning of 21st. Just pick the letter and time and I'll be there. I wanna see this!!! I'll bring a rod and if ya don't mind, I'l like to pick up some pointers too...

It looks like he's just barely throwing it. And that's kinda a modified pendulum cast. And it don't show how far he's slinging it either.

Right now I gots a penn conguer 5000 (courtesy of pomp joe). Nice reel. And a 12ft 1-piece e-glass with big quides custom. I switched back to mono because I thought I was gonna lose my finger with braid lol...

I'm kinda doing the same type of cast as in the video and I'm hittin about 20yds short of the sandbar at JB. Which ain't bad... It might be like ya said that I just need some more practice and tweek some here and there...

Catching fish is the most important thing. I thought I alreay caught all the catfish out of JB... I swear they out number the pompano...

Ron almost had me talked into one of those rods I would like to cast it once or twice. Anyway maybe next weekend we can meet up. I'll try to get in touch thursday PM

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Spinning vs Conventional

I won't get into a spinning vs conventional contest.

I can cast a long ways with either one. I cast far enough to catch fish.

I believe that it's up to the individual. He/she can cast better with what they use most.

Jim: Went with my daughter and caught two Pompano and a bunch of whiting. Salted shrimp on a Charlie2 Rig. First gut. Could of used a cane pole. :)

She wants to go again so maybe we can get together. She's good luck! C2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got a good point in placement rather than distance. Can be ten yards beside guy catching and if you are not placing bait in right place it dont mean a thing.

Not trying to get you to throw it 200 yards but a little technique will go a long way in basic equipment. Learn a little more with what you have.

Stay with the spinner and learn how to throw. Learn how to read the beach. Placement of bait means more than most care to learn.

Keep it simple guys!

Stephen :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. Just PM me and if I don't hear from ya, I'll send one. I definitely would like to learn some more.

But I do believe that it's in the placement and learning how to read the beach. I've been out there and have literally had a guy no more than 10ft from me snatching pomps like they were growing on a tree. And here I am weeding the catfish out for'em... And he ain't casting no further than me... Maybe even less...

But I think I'll stick with the spinner till I get some more time in the saddle...

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
and why disagree??? Just a question, i know alvey side casts held the record for years but when i tried to cast one i couldn't outcast my conventional... But you do have to know how to cast a conventional to get any distance...
Jim disagrees because he and Charlie 2 have mastered the technique to a point where the type of reel doesn't matter as much. I'm new to distance casting, but learned very quickly from these guys it's technique, technique, technique. Yes, some of the great casters are big, strong guys, but without mastering the techniques they'd be average at best. That said, it sure doesn't hurt to have a hopped-up Akios reel and a AFAW graphite rod to chunk with.

My switch to a conventional reel added an easy 30 measure yards to my cast. I agree that placement is key, but that extra yardage helps when they're out deep. For whatever reason, my "go to" holes haven't produced short this season.

Maybe I need some schooling on placement?!?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Fishin is not that good right now,but I have a lot of other things that are going well. business is begining to come in, health is good,generally all is well,life is good.:D
Got to like a guy who looks on the upside. Praise God for good health!

I'm right there with you on fishing. We're getting a lot of weed over here. I'd be tempted to try the piers if they weren't so packed!

I've still got a couple of Breakaway Cannons for you. Let's hook up sometime.

·
Registered
514 Posts
OK Joe, thanks, i'm glad i'm not the only one who added instant distance to his casts by switching to a conventional... But i would still think that if you have mastered casting to that point that a conventional would still cast farther.... And if not why??? Is it just what you're use to... I know the Daiwa Emblem and Saltiga Surf have very tall spools and this helps ALOT for casting distance... Is this what the long cast guys who use spinners use???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts