Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt at the Green Swamp...YOu are considered a good hunter to even see a deer here..

here is what happened this morning...I walked 1 mile to a hammock. At 7:30 ...a doe is 10 yds away looking at me.She smelled me ..blew and trotted off. At 10:00 AM I gave a bleat with "The Can" ..I think I hear a squirrel..I peaked to my back right..OH MY GOODNESS ...a serious wide 8 point is coming and he looks every bit of 175lbs..The rack looked a good 20" wide.He's 10 yds away..I froze hoping he would continue ot walk on BUT he stopped for 10 seconds..Stomped ..and trotted backwards..I'm sick...

Question..how soon would you go back and hunt that spot? Should I use my bleat again..rattle ..or just sit quietly. This is th eworst I've felt in years..I can't shake the depression.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Chuck7

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
normally once a big buck has seen or smelled you he goes nocturnal and you never see him again. My guess is he did one or both and he might be long gone, however your best chance would be in the rut. Thay do stupid things then.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
use a drag rag about the last 200 yards and stink it up with code blue doe in estrous.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
A friend of mine shot at and missed a big 8pt during the first part of gun season....thur. I saw the same deer close to where he had missed it before, not sure him seeing you would alter his habits that quickly....maybe if he saw you more in the same place he might avoid that area...try to get up a tree if its possible...good luck to you....I would go back just not stay or stand in the exact spot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellows,

The deer was to my back...He was about 10 yds in back of me..I was about 14 ' high up in my Summit..using a 30-30- scoped Marlin..If I had my 12 guage Ithica I would have whipped around and put a slug into him..next week I'm taking the shotgun..I'm in a swamp and you can only see up to 50 yds anyway...at the most. I thought maybe next week to use some rattlers a little and as one young man said,"Set up in a different tree", ..that was my mistake..I was too closeto the game trail..Both deer didn't smell me till they got within 20 yds..then they stoped..stomped and left quick.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
I promise a scent trail works wonders also.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try that....I had one last year ..I totally fogot about the rag in urine trick..appreciate the heads up.. I just called my friend from Missouri who i s apro..He said go back next Sat. and do the same thing ..same deer call. He knows many hunters who have gotten a second chance at a buck..The deer didn't see me..My back was against the tree..He just did an about face and all i saw was a nice stout deer with a wide rack disappear quietly in the brush .I'e always used my ears the most when hunting..I learned3 things today..

a. Don't set up real closeto game trails.

b, Take every sound serious no matter how small.

c.use your eyes as much as your ears.

I'll get me a rag my friend..thank sfo rthe replies..I would honestly give my Martin Guitar and 2000 dollars for a shot at that deer. It wasa gorgeous deer ..especially for Florida..

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Spend the fifty or sixtybucks to get a pair of folding Renzo decoys - 1 feeding doe and 1 subdominant buck. Set them up about 50-80 yards upwind of your stand, but where they can be seen from a ways off. Cover the doe in Estrous scent (plus use the drag rag somebody else suggested), and maybe hang a couple wicks with buck urine or tarsal scent. then use your bleat can, grunt and rattle - but not too much. Spend more time looking for Mr. Big to come sneaking in to steal the hot doe away. Here's a picture of a 10-point I called in with the can and estrous scent three years ago, and the 9-point that my Dad shot using a decoy and scent 2 days later.

Here's the decoys I'm talking about :

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=145846

- A quick note - if you're using these during gun season on public land - pick up 2-3 cheap hunter orange vests and keep these decoys wrapped in orange until you are setting them up - and always wear your hunter orange when using or handling them. If you think there might be other hunters around, DON't USE THEM - or leave an orange vest or hat hanging on them - I doubt the deer will notice.

It's really a good feeling to actually call in or otherwise outsmart a mature buck. Using decoys and scent, and calling with your bleat can are all ways to help make it a hunt instead of a wait.

Good Luck!

Ed

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's really a good feeling to actually call in or otherwise outsmart a mature buck. Using decoys and scent, and calling with your bleat can are all ways to help make it a hunt instead of a wait.

Good Luck!

Ed

You got that right Ed..I just bought some deer lure...I'll be back next Sat..Those are really nice deer ya got there.

C7

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Don't be afraid to go back in there Chuck. He's still there and is NOT going nocturnal. That's a crock o' shtuff. Set up in a different tree and get higher if you can. 14' doesn't help disperse your scent very well. I'd stick with the 30-30. If he comes in he's likely to be cautious. If he stops halfway behind some thick brush or a tree, you may have to thread that shot through a hole in that brush or into his neck poking out from behind a tree. remember he will be extra cautious.

Be sure to take care of EVERYTHING(human scent on you and clothes,cover scents,stay off the trails as best you can, get on up that tree,movement to a minimum.) he's there and killable. You just gotta up the ante on your part, i.e. improve your skills. He knows somethings up so he'll be more wary. You know this so you'll be more sneaky and work things to your advantage.

Of course all the advice in the world goes out of the window if a hot doe comes in. then you just wait and squeeeeeeze the trigger not pull.LOL

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl14_lblFullMessage>Don't be afraid to go back in there Chuck. He's still there and is NOT going nocturnal. That's a crock o' shtuff. Set up in a different tree and get higher if you can. Yes sir..my plan indeed. as a teacher I get 14 days off after the 19th ,,I plan to hunt the entire time..I'll be back there at the hammock Sat. 14' doesn't help disperse your scent very well. I'd stick with the 30-30...Yes sir..If he comes in he's likely to be cautious. If he stops halfway behind some thick brush or a tree, you may have to thread that shot through a hole in that brush or into his neck poking out from behind a tree. remember he will be extra cautious. He sure was pretty...a mounter for sure and my name in the Florida Big Buck registry..[-:

Be sure to take care of EVERYTHING(human scent on you and clothes,cover scents,stay off the trails as best you can, get on up that tree,movement to a minimum.) he's there and killable. You just gotta up the ante on your part, i.e. improve your skills...got that right..I was too close to the game traill..I had my head down listening instead of using my eyes..WOW!! Big learning experience..these animals sure are keen.He knows somethings up so he'll be more wary. You know this so you'll be more sneaky and work things to your advantage. Yes sir///I bought some doe urine..I plan to have it on a rag close by..Earlier this month I camo duct taped every moving metal part of my Summit..that helped a ton..This ole boy had been bedding within 50 yds of me the entire morning. I wash my clothes in baking soda..I had just finished reading 5 chapters out of my New Testament..I ask God to send a buck..I was shocked when one really came out..LOL I called a spike out a couple years ago doing the same exact thing..He fell imediately with a 30-30 round. In Missouri I called an 8 point..I shot him on the neck..fell straight down.This Florida deer looked very heavy ...His rack is very wide..

Of course all the advice in the world goes out of the window if a hot doe comes in. then you just wait and squeeeeeeze the trigger not pull.LOL ...no does are allowed to be killed...and i got the shooting down.Scored number one in the service..My groups are in a quarter..but I agree..I still need to hone on my white tail skills..

I appreciate the feedback.

Merry Christmas

Chuck7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts